Hundreds of people gathered in the Romanian capital Bucharest on Sunday, to campaign for the euthanasia of the city’s stray dogs. The killing of a four-year-old by strays in a park has thrown a serious spotlight on the issue and led to calls for a cull on some sixty thousand dogs which roam the streets. Many held up placards saying, “We don’t want to be next.”
Aurica Anghe, the boy’s grandmother was among the demonstrators. She told euronews, “I hope for a change for the better. I don’t want to see dogs on the street anymore.”
Local resident Ionica Daniel, also an anti stray dog campaigner said, “In my neighbourhood during the evening after 9 or 10 pm, I’m afraid to go out. They come out in packs and bark, it happened to me two evenings in a row. This is why I’m here now.”
Animal lovers say castration is a more acceptable solution.
Even the President Traian Basescu weighed into the debate, saying “I am asking the government to issue an emergency law to establish a short term during which dog lovers can adopt stray dogs. After this term, any dogs that have not been adopted will be put down.”
On September 9, the parliament will hold a debate on the issue and have promised to to make a decision on the fate of stray dogs by next week.
In all, around 6,700 people were bitten over the first six months of 2013 alone in Bucharest. Three people have been killed in the last decade.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Memorial march: “My hope for Russia has died with the death of Boris Nemtsov”
- 2Estonia votes in election amid concerns over Russia
- 3Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov
- 4Turkish CCTV images show British girls on their way to join ISIL
- 5‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 1‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold?
- 2Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov
- 3Putin promises to hunt down killers of opposition figure Boris Nemtsov
- 4Stand-off at ‘anti-Islamisation’ march in north-east England
- 5Japan: Was brutal murder of boy, 13, inspired by ISIL?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:16 CET Americans say keep politics out of the Fed – poll
- 07:12 CET Africa’s medicine men key to halting Ebola spread in Guinea
- 06:12 CET North Korea, angered by drills, fires short-range missiles off…
- 05:40 CET Trial to push for better flight tracking a year after MH370
- 05:33 CET Hopes for peaceful Russian transition fade with Nemtsov – Kasparov
- 05:31 CET Setting aside rancour over Hong Kong, China welcomes Prince William
- 05:25 CET Iraq launches offensive on Islamic State
- 05:21 CET Australia bars travel to Mosul ahead of planned offensive