Hundreds of people gathered in the Romanian capital Bucharest on Sunday, to campaign for the euthanasia of the city’s stray dogs. The killing of a four-year-old by strays in a park has thrown a serious spotlight on the issue and led to calls for a cull on some sixty thousand dogs which roam the streets. Many held up placards saying, “We don’t want to be next.”
Aurica Anghe, the boy’s grandmother was among the demonstrators. She told euronews, “I hope for a change for the better. I don’t want to see dogs on the street anymore.”
Local resident Ionica Daniel, also an anti stray dog campaigner said, “In my neighbourhood during the evening after 9 or 10 pm, I’m afraid to go out. They come out in packs and bark, it happened to me two evenings in a row. This is why I’m here now.”
Animal lovers say castration is a more acceptable solution.
Even the President Traian Basescu weighed into the debate, saying “I am asking the government to issue an emergency law to establish a short term during which dog lovers can adopt stray dogs. After this term, any dogs that have not been adopted will be put down.”
On September 9, the parliament will hold a debate on the issue and have promised to to make a decision on the fate of stray dogs by next week.
In all, around 6,700 people were bitten over the first six months of 2013 alone in Bucharest. Three people have been killed in the last decade.
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 4What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
Belgian dairy farmers block roads in more price protests
Northern California ‘Rocky Fire’ blazes out of control
Russia begins pre-trial hearings for Ukraine ex-pilot Nadiya Savchenko
Syriza faces internal battle as Tsipras requests party vote
Wires > News
- 19:31 CET First aim is to restore Yemeni government in Aden, Sanaa later -…
- 19:25 CET Russia modernising S-300 missile system for Iran – RIA, citing…
- 19:15 CET Canadian pastor detained in North Korea makes TV confession -church
- 19:03 CET Greece’s Tsipras challenges party bailout critics to showdown
- 18:56 CET Religious assailant attacks Jerusalem Gay Pride march, wounding six
- 18:53 CET U.S. agency probes possible legal violation in lion killing -…
- 18:50 CET Syrian group says Nusra abducts its leader, U.S. casts doubt
- 18:27 CET World Medical Association to look into future president after…