Emirates Team New Zealand produced a stunning performance to outclass Oracle Team USA in the first two races of the 34th America’s Cup on San Francisco Bay on Saturday.
Already entering Day 1 down two points because of a penalty incurred for adding illegal weight to boats used in a previous preparatory Cup competition, Oracle essentially fell four points behind as experienced skipper Dean Barker led his crew to victories of 36 and 52 seconds.
The Kiwis need seven more victories to secure the title while reigning champions Oracle Team USA, owned by software billionaire Larry Ellison, must now win 11 races to retain the Cup.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 3Latest News Bulletin
- 4At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 5Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 6[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 10Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 11Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 12Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 13Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 16Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 17Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
- 18Kicked down in Hungary, saved by Spain
- 19Catalan president Artur Mas charged with organising illegal independence referendum
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Wires > Sport
- 09:54 CET Coleman ready to extend Wales contract but wants changes
- 07:52 CET O’Connor released by Reds due to personal issues
- 04:36 CET Warner confident he will be fit for New Zealand series
- 04:04 CET Pacquiao looking to return to ring early next year
- 03:19 CET Bolt aiming to crack 19 seconds in 200 metres
- 00:33 CET Hamilton heeds his father’s words as title nears
- 23:47 CET Ukraine into Euro play-offs after Spain defeat
- 23:23 CET Ruthless England complete perfect 10