Emirates Team New Zealand produced a stunning performance to outclass Oracle Team USA in the first two races of the 34th America’s Cup on San Francisco Bay on Saturday.
Already entering Day 1 down two points because of a penalty incurred for adding illegal weight to boats used in a previous preparatory Cup competition, Oracle essentially fell four points behind as experienced skipper Dean Barker led his crew to victories of 36 and 52 seconds.
The Kiwis need seven more victories to secure the title while reigning champions Oracle Team USA, owned by software billionaire Larry Ellison, must now win 11 races to retain the Cup.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 7China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 8New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 93D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 10Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 11Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 12Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 13Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 14EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 17#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 18Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 19Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 20Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 22:55 CET Valencia up to second thanks to 3-0 win at Getafe
- 21:55 CET Gala Leon becomes Spain’s first female Davis Cup captain
- 21:28 CET Irish 2,000 Guineas winner Kingman retired to stud
- 21:00 CET Qatar adamant it will host 2022 World Cup despite doubts
- 20:54 CET Qatar adamant it will host 2022 World Cup despite doubts
- 20:32 CET Ryder Cup players must leave egos behind – Rotella
- 19:52 CET Is the depth of PGA Tour talent stronger than ever?
- 19:22 CET Kreuziger cleared of doping violation by Czech committee