After weeks of speculation, Wrestling has defeated bids from baseball and squash to reclaim its spot in the 2020 Summer Games in Tokyo.
The sport – featured in the first modern Olympics in Athens in 1896 – had been due to end its Olympic participation at Rio 2016 following its exclusion by the International Olympic Committee in February.
Wrestling received a majority of the votes with 49, followed by a joint bid by baseball and softball getting 24 votes and squash with 22.
The IOC session ends in Buenos Aires on Tuesday with the election of a new president to replace Jacques Rogge.
- 1Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 2Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 5Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
Tour de France: Rodriguez wins stage three as Froome earns leader’s yellow jersey
Red Bull Air Race: Arch wins in Budapest
Cancellara in yellow; Greipal wins stage 2 of the Tour de France
Mongolia and Japan call the shots at Ulaanbaatar Judo Grand Prix
Rohan Dennis record breaking Lycra lad wins Tour de France Grand Depart
Wires > News
- 22:38 CET Fury to meet world champion Klitschko in October
- 22:09 CET Barca agree to sign playmaker Arda from Atletico
- 22:04 CET Reporter asks beaten Berdych how it felt to go through
- 21:47 CET Former tour physio says McIlroy is ‘up against it’
- 20:24 CET Juventus coach Allegri adds year to contract
- 19:44 CET Tour stage neutralised after huge crash
- 18:52 CET England’s ‘Lionesses’ home after strong World Cup showing
- 18:36 CET FIFA bans bid inspector Mayne-Nicholls for seven years