After weeks of speculation, Wrestling has defeated bids from baseball and squash to reclaim its spot in the 2020 Summer Games in Tokyo.
The sport – featured in the first modern Olympics in Athens in 1896 – had been due to end its Olympic participation at Rio 2016 following its exclusion by the International Olympic Committee in February.
Wrestling received a majority of the votes with 49, followed by a joint bid by baseball and softball getting 24 votes and squash with 22.
The IOC session ends in Buenos Aires on Tuesday with the election of a new president to replace Jacques Rogge.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Still United Kingdom: Scottish voters reject independence – follow live
- 2Scottish Highlands a spectacular battleground in the independence vote
- 3We’ll take the ‘No’ road: Scottish voters reject independence
- 4Which celebrities are backing Scottish independence?
- 5UN warns over Ebola as Sierra Leone lockdown begins
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 12EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 13Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
- 14The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 15#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 16Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 09:06 CET Pelle’s big boost after flirtation with Italian squad
- 05:52 CET China’s Li Na announces her retirement from tennis
- 02:44 CET Brandao given six-month ban for Thiago Motta headbutt
- 00:22 CET Sevilla sparkle as Europa League returns with goal glut
- 23:17 CET Voigt sets new hour record
- 22:02 CET Red tape cleared for Saints’ Senegalese striker
- 21:59 CET UEFA rules doctors must decide in cases of concussion
- 21:02 CET Frustrated Alonso defends Ferrari brand and seeks unity