After weeks of speculation, Wrestling has defeated bids from baseball and squash to reclaim its spot in the 2020 Summer Games in Tokyo.
The sport – featured in the first modern Olympics in Athens in 1896 – had been due to end its Olympic participation at Rio 2016 following its exclusion by the International Olympic Committee in February.
Wrestling received a majority of the votes with 49, followed by a joint bid by baseball and softball getting 24 votes and squash with 22.
The IOC session ends in Buenos Aires on Tuesday with the election of a new president to replace Jacques Rogge.
Liverpool to play Seville in Europa League final
Verstappen takes Kvyat’s F1 drive at Red Bull
Cleveland set new NBA record in stunning display
Madrid celebrates football supremacy but wonders who are Real champions
Real Madrid to face city rivals Atletico Madrid in Champions League final
Wires > News
- 01:39 CET Coe under pressure to get Russia to Rio – former WADA chief
- 01:03 CET Spurs close in on Wembley stadium move
- 00:35 CET Winger Mahrez tells Leicester he wants to stay
- 23:07 CET Rio mayor assures Olympics not impacted by graft, political turmoil
- 23:03 CET Derby favourite Nyquist to sip from Stanley Cup
- 22:55 CET British canoeist Pennie has novel answer to Zika threat
- 21:49 CET Indian Lahiri sets clubhouse pace at Quail Hollow
- 21:39 CET Khan pledges to give Alvarez a lesson in the ring