08/09/13 16:36 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The Indian army has been called in to Uttar Pradesh in the north of the country to stem the tide of violence between Hindus and Muslims.
At least fifteen people have died after being caught up in rival clashes, including a journalist and police photographer. Forty people have so far been reported injured.
Trouble first broke out in the district on August 27 after an incident in a local village. The man accused of the crime of molestation was stabbed to death, prompting his community to lynch two members of the other community.
Eight hundred troops were dispatched to the region on Saturday night, as armed gangs of Jats – a Hindu sect – attacked a mosque and a village containing Muslim residents.
The police took control of the area until fresh outbreaks of violence erupted early on Sunday morning.
The Jats are demanding that charges against some of their members in relation to a similar clash last month are dropped.
A senior police official said tensions were stoked by an online video showing reportedly showing the recent killing of two Muslim youths.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Brazil’s top prosecutor requests probe into Dilma Rousseff’s role in Petrobras scandal.
Trump is Republican presumptive nominee after crushing Cruz in Indiana
Wildfire triggers emergency evacuation in Alberta
Israeli troops shoot dead driver of rammed car
Google and Fiat to team up on self drive cars
Wires > News
- 08:40 CET Turkey approves law among final hurdles for EU visa deal
- 08:17 CET Car bomb blast in southeast Turkey kills one Turkish soldier…
- 08:01 CET Turkey’s Erdogan advances weekly PM meet to Wednesday as tension…
- 07:58 CET Turkish military returns fire into Syria after rockets hit border…
- 07:48 CET ‘Bongbong’, the son, leads Marcos revival in the Philippines
- 07:36 CET Canadian wildfire forces evacuation order for entire city
- 06:14 CET Amid scandal, China military hospital closes doors to new patients
- 05:00 CET Top prosecutor asks to investigate Brazil president