The Indian army has been called in to Uttar Pradesh in the north of the country to stem the tide of violence between Hindus and Muslims.
At least fifteen people have died after being caught up in rival clashes, including a journalist and police photographer. Forty people have so far been reported injured.
Trouble first broke out in the district on August 27 after an incident in a local village. The man accused of the crime of molestation was stabbed to death, prompting his community to lynch two members of the other community.
Eight hundred troops were dispatched to the region on Saturday night, as armed gangs of Jats – a Hindu sect – attacked a mosque and a village containing Muslim residents.
The police took control of the area until fresh outbreaks of violence erupted early on Sunday morning.
The Jats are demanding that charges against some of their members in relation to a similar clash last month are dropped.
A senior police official said tensions were stoked by an online video showing reportedly showing the recent killing of two Muslim youths.
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Wires > News
- 05:39 CET China watchdog says graft risk controls tightened at central bank
- 04:35 CET Authorities study plane debris found off Madagascar for links to…
- 04:27 CET Zimbabwean charged over killing of Cecil the lion
- 04:26 CET India hangs man convicted of 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts
- 02:30 CET U.S. says Europeans could help more in South China Sea dispute
- 02:01 CET Israel approves new homes in settlement after demolishing two…
- 00:49 CET Afghanistan says Taliban leader dead, urges peace talks
- 00:14 CET Top U.S. general says Iran deal lowers near-term atomic arms risk