Italian Daniele Ratto of the Cannondale team celebrated his biggest win to date after claiming a solo victory in stage 14 of the Tour of Spain.
Adverse weather conditions greeted the peloton for the 155.7 kilometres from Baga to Collada de la Gallina, in the Pyrenees
Ratto was part of a five-man group that made a break for it early on and as the Tour left Spain for Andorra the quintet were 8 minutes clear of the main bunch, who appeared to be in no mood to chase them down.
A couple of arduous climbs towards the end proved too much for four of the five escapees leaving Ratto to power off out in front with race leader Vincenzo Nibali and fellow title contender Chris Horner giving chase.
But despite showing signs of exhaustion on the final way up to the line Ratto managed to hold on for a solo win.
Nibali got the better of Horner by two seconds crossing over in second place to extend his overall race lead to 50 seconds over his American rival.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Evo Morales celebrates his birthday by playing football
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
Wires > Sport
- 22:55 CET Dortmund reach semi-finals as fans stage ticket protest
- 21:14 CET Olympic medals prospect Kenya causes stir in weighing Zika and Rio
- 21:04 CET Russia captain Shirokov joins CSKA Moscow
- 20:34 CET Real’s Marcelo to miss Roma trip after shoulder injury
- 20:32 CET Beaumont junior retained in England squad to face Italy
- 19:29 CET Juventus’s Chiellini out for 20 days with torn muscle
- 19:21 CET Espanyol keeper Arla sidelined, reprieve for coach
- 19:12 CET Olympic medals prospect Kenya causes stir in weighing Zika and Rio