Italian Daniele Ratto of the Cannondale team celebrated his biggest win to date after claiming a solo victory in stage 14 of the Tour of Spain.
Adverse weather conditions greeted the peloton for the 155.7 kilometres from Baga to Collada de la Gallina, in the Pyrenees
Ratto was part of a five-man group that made a break for it early on and as the Tour left Spain for Andorra the quintet were 8 minutes clear of the main bunch, who appeared to be in no mood to chase them down.
A couple of arduous climbs towards the end proved too much for four of the five escapees leaving Ratto to power off out in front with race leader Vincenzo Nibali and fellow title contender Chris Horner giving chase.
But despite showing signs of exhaustion on the final way up to the line Ratto managed to hold on for a solo win.
Nibali got the better of Horner by two seconds crossing over in second place to extend his overall race lead to 50 seconds over his American rival.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 11All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 12Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 15What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > Sport
- 06:49 CET Australian amateur Murdaca books U.S. Masters berth
- 02:01 CET Disappointed captain Clarke says lacking match practice
- 00:46 CET Wallaby Beale feels ‘vindicated’ after text message scandal
- 23:04 CET Warnock claims keeper was ‘almost assaulted’ against West Brom
- 21:45 CET Murray ousts fighting Ferrer to boost London bid
- 21:16 CET Valencia celebrate imminent Lim takeover with victory
- 21:11 CET Wenger hails ‘super’ Sanchez after Chilean sinks Sunderland
- 20:14 CET Balotelli given Rodgers backing after another goalless afternoon