Italian Daniele Ratto of the Cannondale team celebrated his biggest win to date after claiming a solo victory in stage 14 of the Tour of Spain.
Adverse weather conditions greeted the peloton for the 155.7 kilometres from Baga to Collada de la Gallina, in the Pyrenees
Ratto was part of a five-man group that made a break for it early on and as the Tour left Spain for Andorra the quintet were 8 minutes clear of the main bunch, who appeared to be in no mood to chase them down.
A couple of arduous climbs towards the end proved too much for four of the five escapees leaving Ratto to power off out in front with race leader Vincenzo Nibali and fellow title contender Chris Horner giving chase.
But despite showing signs of exhaustion on the final way up to the line Ratto managed to hold on for a solo win.
Nibali got the better of Horner by two seconds crossing over in second place to extend his overall race lead to 50 seconds over his American rival.
- 1Business as usual as Blatter joins Putin for World Cup draw
- 2Olympics: New stadium plans to be drawn up for Tokyo 2020
- 3Chapeau Christopher: Froome wins Tour du France
- 4Tour de France: Geschke claims maiden stage win, Froome maintains overall lead
- 5Judge requests new investigation into Jan Ullrich’s drink driving case
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Latest News Bulletin
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > Sport
- 21:36 CET Woods sees game coming together after ‘frustrating’ season
- 21:17 CET Mexico fires coach Miguel Herrera after punching incident
- 20:17 CET Nigeria target German model in bid to revive fortunes
- 20:08 CET Diaby agrees deal to join Marseille
- 19:27 CET Boston activist group credited for defeating Olympics pitch
- 18:22 CET Berlin hosting “Jewish Olympics” in stadium Hitler built
- 17:44 CET Crespo joins Villa as Sherwood continues to ring changes
- 16:17 CET Vidal completes $44 million move from Juve to Bayern