Italian Daniele Ratto of the Cannondale team celebrated his biggest win to date after claiming a solo victory in stage 14 of the Tour of Spain.
Adverse weather conditions greeted the peloton for the 155.7 kilometres from Baga to Collada de la Gallina, in the Pyrenees
Ratto was part of a five-man group that made a break for it early on and as the Tour left Spain for Andorra the quintet were 8 minutes clear of the main bunch, who appeared to be in no mood to chase them down.
A couple of arduous climbs towards the end proved too much for four of the five escapees leaving Ratto to power off out in front with race leader Vincenzo Nibali and fellow title contender Chris Horner giving chase.
But despite showing signs of exhaustion on the final way up to the line Ratto managed to hold on for a solo win.
Nibali got the better of Horner by two seconds crossing over in second place to extend his overall race lead to 50 seconds over his American rival.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 16:49 CET South Korea give Cha winning send-off
- 16:47 CET Palestinians to ask FIFA to suspend Israel
- 16:46 CET I miss football to death, says ex-Italy forward Cassano
- 15:51 CET England women’s goalkeeper faces violent conduct charge
- 15:37 CET Hanover without injured Sobiech for relegation battle
- 15:26 CET Steyn banned for five weeks after SANZAR appeal
- 15:25 CET Exclusive – Italy boss unhappy at UCI handling of Astana case
- 14:21 CET Southampton report first profits since 2009 crisis