Italian Daniele Ratto of the Cannondale team celebrated his biggest win to date after claiming a solo victory in stage 14 of the Tour of Spain.
Adverse weather conditions greeted the peloton for the 155.7 kilometres from Baga to Collada de la Gallina, in the Pyrenees
Ratto was part of a five-man group that made a break for it early on and as the Tour left Spain for Andorra the quintet were 8 minutes clear of the main bunch, who appeared to be in no mood to chase them down.
A couple of arduous climbs towards the end proved too much for four of the five escapees leaving Ratto to power off out in front with race leader Vincenzo Nibali and fellow title contender Chris Horner giving chase.
But despite showing signs of exhaustion on the final way up to the line Ratto managed to hold on for a solo win.
Nibali got the better of Horner by two seconds crossing over in second place to extend his overall race lead to 50 seconds over his American rival.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 11Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 12Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 13EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 14The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 15#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 19Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 20Marine Le Pen criticises France’s decision to halt Mistral warship sale to Russia | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 21:09 CET Police probe racist tweets to Balotelli
- 21:04 CET Pellegrini criticises Chelsea’s small team mentality
- 20:59 CET Lampard goal, United defeat highlight astonishing day
- 19:54 CET Rodriguez magic helps Wolfsburg crush Leverkusen 4-1
- 19:23 CET Donaldson impresses ahead of Ryder Cup but team mates struggle
- 17:47 CET Florenzi booked for hugging grandmother as Roma win again
- 16:22 CET Hamilton leads championship after Rosberg retirement
- 15:54 CET Hagino crashes Sun and Park’s party, lifters break records