05/09/13 08:24 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The Vatican has recalled its ambassador to the Dominican Republic after he was accused of sexually abusing children.
Two local TV channels broadcast allegations of paedophilia against Archbishop Josef Wesolowski,who had been nuncio, or ambassador, in the capital, Santo Domingo, for nearly six years.
A spokesman for the Catholic church in the Dominican Republic, Monsignor Agripino Nunez Collado, said that “The law is for everyone” and there was no excuse for anyone who violated the law, “not citizenship, not faith, not creed, not politics, not religion”, saying again “The law is for all.”
Wesolowski will be investigated over the charges of paedophilia by the Holy See as well as by prosecutors in the Dominican Republic.
Pope Francis has previously said that he wants to root out the sexual abuse of children by priests and ensure that abusers are punished.
Latest world news
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
Germany: hundreds arrested as anti-immigrant AfD congress starts
Rescue teams keep searching after deadly Kenya collapse
Ireland: Minority government deal breaks political deadlock
Wires > News
- 16:52 CET Rescuers search rubble of Nairobi building, at least 12 dead
- 16:26 CET Air strikes pound Syria’s Aleppo, ‘calm’ farther southwest
- 15:39 CET China, Japan more upbeat on ties but challenges remain
- 15:37 CET Left-wing protesters clash with German police before right-wing…
- 15:20 CET Germany to ask European Commission to allow extension of border…
- 14:55 CET Afghan forces launch push against Taliban
- 12:44 CET Italy merchant ship rescues 26 migrants off Libya, others feared…
- 12:36 CET Russia defends intercept of U.S. reconnaissance plane over Baltic