05/09/13 08:24 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The Vatican has recalled its ambassador to the Dominican Republic after he was accused of sexually abusing children.
Two local TV channels broadcast allegations of paedophilia against Archbishop Josef Wesolowski,who had been nuncio, or ambassador, in the capital, Santo Domingo, for nearly six years.
A spokesman for the Catholic church in the Dominican Republic, Monsignor Agripino Nunez Collado, said that “The law is for everyone” and there was no excuse for anyone who violated the law, “not citizenship, not faith, not creed, not politics, not religion”, saying again “The law is for all.”
Wesolowski will be investigated over the charges of paedophilia by the Holy See as well as by prosecutors in the Dominican Republic.
Pope Francis has previously said that he wants to root out the sexual abuse of children by priests and ensure that abusers are punished.
- 1G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 4French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 5Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 20:59 CET Kerry welcomes bid to spur talks between Venezuela, opposition
- 20:56 CET Rio de Janeiro police investigate alleged gang rape that has…
- 20:50 CET Vietnamese man gets 40 years in U.S. prison for al Qaeda support
- 20:37 CET Freed by Russia, Ukraine’s ‘Joan of Arc’ may be thorn in own…
- 19:49 CET Turkey says U.S. ‘two-faced’ for not viewing Syrian Kurdish YPG as…
- 19:45 CET Islamic State has Euro 2016 in its sights, German spy chief says
- 19:43 CET U.N. chief ‘deeply disappointed’ by rejection of press watchdog
- 19:12 CET Hollande says won’t let protesters choke economy as police clear…