The Vatican has recalled its ambassador to the Dominican Republic after he was accused of sexually abusing children.
Two local TV channels broadcast allegations of paedophilia against Archbishop Josef Wesolowski,who had been nuncio, or ambassador, in the capital, Santo Domingo, for nearly six years.
A spokesman for the Catholic church in the Dominican Republic, Monsignor Agripino Nunez Collado, said that “The law is for everyone” and there was no excuse for anyone who violated the law, “not citizenship, not faith, not creed, not politics, not religion”, saying again “The law is for all.”
Wesolowski will be investigated over the charges of paedophilia by the Holy See as well as by prosecutors in the Dominican Republic.
Pope Francis has previously said that he wants to root out the sexual abuse of children by priests and ensure that abusers are punished.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
MH370: wreckage found on island ‘came from Boeing 777’
Memon: India executes plotter of 1993 Mumbai attacks
US shooting: police officer charged with murder
Charges brought over killing of Zimbabwe’s famous ‘Cecil’
Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
Wires > News
- 12:01 CET Indian Ocean debris almost certainly from a Boeing 777-Malaysia
- 11:48 CET China says ‘many’ countries sending troops for war anniversary
- 11:42 CET Cairo hearing in Al Jazeera journalists’ retrial adjourned – Al…
- 11:40 CET Greek PM tries to rein in leftists in party battle
- 11:37 CET Turkish military says three soldiers killed in PKK attack in the…
- 11:11 CET Taipei mayor won’t publicly back ‘One China’, Shanghai forum at…
- 10:46 CET Taliban disavows Afghan peace talks after leader declared dead
- 09:58 CET Jailed Chinese loggers among thousands freed in Myanmar amnesty