Another revision of peak radiation levels, now up to 2,200 millisieverts, and the discovery that an underground leak is pouring 400 tons of irradiated water a day into the underground reactor chambers at Fukushima is doing nothing to reassure the public that Japan has got a handle on the disaster.
No amount of ministerial statements can dispel the impression Fukushima’s operator Tepco and Japan’s nuclear regulator are at each other’s throats.
“As I’ve said before, Tokyo Electric has not been properly disclosing the situation about the contamination and the levels of contamination,” Shunichi Tanaka, chairman of the Nuclear Regulation Authority (NRA), told reporters.
“This has caused confusion domestically and internationally. Because of that, the Japanese government has a sense of crisis and I, personally, feel a little angry about it,” he said.
“I wouldn’t go as far as to say Japan’s reputation has been made worse, but releasing incorrect information about the radiated water problem has created trouble around the world,” Tanaka added.
“Regarding the issue of contaminated water, the government has made it clear that it will keep ahead of the issue and amass technology and know-how, so that it will be resolved swiftly,” said Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga at the latest news conference.
Japan this week pledged nearly half a billion dollars to contain leaks and decontaminate radioactive water stored at Fukushima.
But more than two years after the accident instead of progress being made, the news gets worse almost by the day, with many now saying the disaster has spun out of control, and that its full extent has been hidden from the public.
Experts continue to question whether Tepco can handle what is an unprecedented clean-up due to the amount of radioactive material on the reactor site and around its coastal location.
Tokyo promises better Fukushima nuclear containment
Japan to spend more money to contain Fukushima water leaks
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Catalan independence put on hold: constitutional court suspends vote
- 3Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach a record 3,072 in 2014
- 4Red alert in southern France as heavy rains sweep Languedoc region
- 5Spain: Constitutional court votes to suspend Catalonia independence referendum
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 6Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 11Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 12Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 13Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 14British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 15Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 16The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 17Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 18#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 19Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 20Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 23:39 CET Israel’s Netanyahu to Obama: Don’t allow Iran deal that leaves it…
- 23:28 CET U.S. Army drops murder charges against soldier in slaying of Iraqi…
- 23:20 CET Greenland appears headed for new election, opposition claims…
- 22:05 CET U.S. cautions Israel about settlement plans in East Jerusalem
- 21:52 CET Blasts rock Bulgarian explosives plant, casualties feared
- 21:50 CET Special Report – In ‘Umbrella Revolution,’ China confronts limits…
- 21:40 CET Kenyatta trial must probe witness tampering says activist
- 21:16 CET Up to 18 exposed to U.S. Ebola patient, including children