Another revision of peak radiation levels, now up to 2,200 millisieverts, and the discovery that an underground leak is pouring 400 tons of irradiated water a day into the underground reactor chambers at Fukushima is doing nothing to reassure the public that Japan has got a handle on the disaster.
No amount of ministerial statements can dispel the impression Fukushima’s operator Tepco and Japan’s nuclear regulator are at each other’s throats.
“As I’ve said before, Tokyo Electric has not been properly disclosing the situation about the contamination and the levels of contamination,” Shunichi Tanaka, chairman of the Nuclear Regulation Authority (NRA), told reporters.
“This has caused confusion domestically and internationally. Because of that, the Japanese government has a sense of crisis and I, personally, feel a little angry about it,” he said.
“I wouldn’t go as far as to say Japan’s reputation has been made worse, but releasing incorrect information about the radiated water problem has created trouble around the world,” Tanaka added.
“Regarding the issue of contaminated water, the government has made it clear that it will keep ahead of the issue and amass technology and know-how, so that it will be resolved swiftly,” said Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga at the latest news conference.
Japan this week pledged nearly half a billion dollars to contain leaks and decontaminate radioactive water stored at Fukushima.
But more than two years after the accident instead of progress being made, the news gets worse almost by the day, with many now saying the disaster has spun out of control, and that its full extent has been hidden from the public.
Experts continue to question whether Tepco can handle what is an unprecedented clean-up due to the amount of radioactive material on the reactor site and around its coastal location.
Tokyo promises better Fukushima nuclear containment
Japan to spend more money to contain Fukushima water leaks
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 2Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 3Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 4German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 5Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 12Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 01:03 CET Guinea president announces new emergency measures in Ebola fight
- 23:48 CET Irish governing parties see poll boost as Sinn Fein falters
- 23:42 CET Greek PM Tsipras says he seeks no rift with Europe
- 22:52 CET Libya tells Arab summit arms embargo must be lifted to fight IS
- 21:32 CET EU’s Juncker postpones Kiev visit due to kidney stones
- 20:03 CET U.S., allies target Islamic State in Tikrit, other Iraqi cities
- 19:43 CET Thousands march through Rome against Renzi’s labour reform
- 19:21 CET Kenya hits out at Britain’s tougher travel warning