Germany goalkeeper Nadine Angerer was named the European Player of the Year in Switzerland on Thursday.
The 34 year old, currently playing for Australian W-League side Brisbane Roar, clinched the UEFA award following a live vote by a panel of leading football journalists.
Angerer, who was facing stiff competition from Germany teammate Lena Goessling and Swedish striker Lotta Schelin, saved a penalty in each half as Die Manschaaft clinched their sixth consecutive Women’s European crown with a 1-0 win over Norway in July.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Sport
- 02:45 CET Liberia back home for Nations Cup qualifiers
- 02:23 CET Berto ‘on a mission’ to unseat Mayweather
- 02:19 CET Serena to headline Day Three at U.S. Open
- 02:07 CET Federer plots his way to first-round rout
- 01:13 CET Six football players face federal charges for unruly airplane…
- 00:24 CET Hewitt extends U.S. Open farewell with a win
- 23:38 CET Federer eases into second round; others toil in heat
- 23:34 CET West Brom’s Berahino angry as dream move joins failed deals