Hundreds of protesters have gathered outside Downing Street in London demanding that British Prime Minister David Cameron raise the issue of gay rights in Russia at the G20 summit in St. Petersburg on Thursday and Friday.
Similar demonstrations have taken place in 33 cities around the world as part of a campaign against Russia’s anti-gay laws.
Political campaigner Peter Tatchell who attended the protest after a meeting with British Foreign Office minister Alistari Burt said: “I put it to the minister that we’d also like David Cameron to get gay rights put on the G20 summit agenda and for a joint communication by world leaders at the G20 calling for the respect for not only gay rights in Russia but respect for all human rights in Russia.”
Critics of the law claim the anti-propaganda law does not permit gay rights rallies and could be used to prosecute anybody who voices support for homosexuals.
The legislation also bans the adoption of children by same-sex couples.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
Wires > News
- 08:51 CET Malaysia PM slams corruption report; says part of political…
- 06:49 CET Three dead as 6.4 earthquake hits China’s Xinjiang
- 06:07 CET Death toll from capsized Philippine ferry rises to 41, divers halt…
- 03:59 CET Egyptian army kills 35 militants in North Sinai – sources
- 03:26 CET Colombia capital on edge after two small explosions
- 01:32 CET Forced labour shows back-breaking lack of reform in Myanmar…
- 01:09 CET Syria rejects U.N. criticism of barrel bombs, says ‘technical‘…
- 23:22 CET Malaysia tells U.N. Security Council of push for MH17 tribunal