Hundreds of protesters have gathered outside Downing Street in London demanding that British Prime Minister David Cameron raise the issue of gay rights in Russia at the G20 summit in St. Petersburg on Thursday and Friday.
Similar demonstrations have taken place in 33 cities around the world as part of a campaign against Russia’s anti-gay laws.
Political campaigner Peter Tatchell who attended the protest after a meeting with British Foreign Office minister Alistari Burt said: “I put it to the minister that we’d also like David Cameron to get gay rights put on the G20 summit agenda and for a joint communication by world leaders at the G20 calling for the respect for not only gay rights in Russia but respect for all human rights in Russia.”
Critics of the law claim the anti-propaganda law does not permit gay rights rallies and could be used to prosecute anybody who voices support for homosexuals.
The legislation also bans the adoption of children by same-sex couples.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
Surfing dogs battle it out in California contest
Photojournalist among five found dead at Mexico City apartment
Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
Israelis against recent violence in region as clashes rage in West Bank
Wires > News
- 12:13 CET Gunmen kill ally of Burundi’s President Nkurunziza
- 11:46 CET Malaysia says Indian Ocean aeroplane debris is part of a Boeing 777
- 10:41 CET Grassroots mayors embody Spain’s divisions as election nears
- 10:11 CET Analysis – Germans fret over Europe’s future but still believe
- 09:56 CET Chinese military paper warns a corrupt army does not win wars
- 06:07 CET Five found shot to death in Mexico City apartment
- 23:06 CET Finland must watch far-right closely after violent rally – minister
- 20:11 CET Kurdish militia in Syria accuses Turkey of ‘provocative’ attacks