04/09/13 13:46 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Demonstrators in Brussels have been calling on EU negotiators to do more to tackle financial speculation on food. Speculators have been blamed for pushing up prices and stoking shortages.
A protest was held outside the European Parliament on the opening day of talks on proposed financial reforms known as ‘MiFID’ (the Markets in Financial Instruments Directive).
The reforms could prevent banks and investors from using speculation techniques.
A 30,000 strong petition was handed over to German MEP Markus Ferber, who is leading on the legislation.
“For the moment, at European level, we don’t have any rules.Even the Unites States has now introduced a kind of position, a limit regime, and I think it’s time that Europe does the same,” said Ferber.
Campaigner Virgine Pissoort, from ‘SOS FAIM’ (SOS Hunger) added that a spate of food problems in recent years have highlighted the need to take action.
“There have been hunger riots and a food crisis in 2008, 2011 and 2012. That was because the prices of agricultural products internationally shot up significantly. A rise of more than 70 percent for corn, maize and rice,” “ she said.
Campaigners – dressed in corn-on-the-cob outfits – took to the streets in Brussels.
They were calling for a clampdown on the use of food for biofuels. Activists want products to power people rather than vehicles, to help ease world food shortages.
The action came ahead of a vote next week by MEPs on reform of the EU’s biofuels policy.
Euronews correspondent Marta Vivas Chamorro, in Brussels, concluded: “The activists asked MEPs to vote against using food for biofuels and pointed out that almost 900 million people go hungry each day around the world.”
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid