03/09/13 18:26 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Protests have taken place on Tuesday outside the Ukranian parliament in Kiev.
One group has been asking for the government of President Viktor Yanukovich to vote for political and social reforms that the EU has demanded, while opponents have said a draft law that aims to prevent discrimination promotes homosexuality.
The leaders of the European Parliament monitoring mission in Ukraine, Alexander Kvasnevsky and Pat Cox, were at the opening session of parliament after the summer recess.
The country’s president said “Ukraine must come back with a positive outcome” from the EU meeting in Vilnius in November, which will decide whether they sign trade and association agreements with the 28 member union.
Among the concerns of the EU are the imprisonment of former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko, whom western governments want freed.
Opposition leader Vitaly Klitschko has urged her to be released as soon as possible “because her case is politically motivated”.
Euronews’ correspondent in Kiev, Maria Korenyuk, said that “every draft law passed in parliament inceases the chances of Ukraine signing the Association Agreement in November”. However she warned that “despite there not being much time until the Vilnius Summit, MPs are in no hurry to get working.”
Latest world news
Brazil: Senate committee approves report recommending Rousseff’s impeachment
Turkish journalists sentenced for revealing state secrets
Hungary’s PM Orban slams plans for migrant quota fines
Sadiq Khan set to become London’s first Muslim mayor
Turkey: journalist speaks out against those ‘targeting’ him after Istanbul shooting
Wires > News
- 00:20 CET Images show possible preparations for North Korea nuclear test -…
- 22:14 CET Turkish journalists jailed for five years, hours after courthouse…
- 20:38 CET Panama Papers source breaks silence, denies being a spy -…
- 20:27 CET China takes first step in $1 billion pledge to U.N. to fund peace…
- 20:25 CET Egypt gives Italy phone records of union chief – source
- 19:58 CET Russia says U.S.-Georgian military exercises could destabilise…
- 19:56 CET U.S. says it is committed to keeping Aleppo truce in place beyond…
- 19:40 CET Brazil Senate committee votes for Rousseff to stand trial