Protests have taken place on Tuesday outside the Ukranian parliament in Kiev.
One group has been asking for the government of President Viktor Yanukovich to vote for political and social reforms that the EU has demanded, while opponents have said a draft law that aims to prevent discrimination promotes homosexuality.
The leaders of the European Parliament monitoring mission in Ukraine, Alexander Kvasnevsky and Pat Cox, were at the opening session of parliament after the summer recess.
The country’s president said “Ukraine must come back with a positive outcome” from the EU meeting in Vilnius in November, which will decide whether they sign trade and association agreements with the 28 member union.
Among the concerns of the EU are the imprisonment of former prime minister Yulia Tymoshenko, whom western governments want freed.
Opposition leader Vitaly Klitschko has urged her to be released as soon as possible “because her case is politically motivated”.
Euronews’ correspondent in Kiev, Maria Korenyuk, said that “every draft law passed in parliament inceases the chances of Ukraine signing the Association Agreement in November”. However she warned that “despite there not being much time until the Vilnius Summit, MPs are in no hurry to get working.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 2Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 3Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 4Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 5Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 1Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 2Canada raises its terror threat following attack on soldiers
- 3Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 4Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 5‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 18:01 CET Turkey’s U.S. relations show strain as Washington’s patience wears…
- 17:50 CET Suspected Boko Haram fighters kidnap 25 girls from northeast…
- 17:46 CET Tunisian policeman killed in pre-election clash with militants
- 17:28 CET Canada’s Harper pledges tougher security laws after attack
- 17:21 CET Insight – Mario Draghi’s German problem
- 17:01 CET Ukrainian PM warns Russia may try to disrupt Sunday’s election
- 16:49 CET EU leaders seek climate deal, but divided over costs
- 15:29 CET U.S., allies stage 15 air strikes on Islamic State in Iraq, Syria…