A Syrian medical expert has defected to Turkey and claims he has evidence that President Assad’s regime used chemical weapons in an attack near Aleppo in March.
Dr Abdeltawwab Shahrour who is head of the forensic medicine committee in Aleppo was expected to reveal the details of the attack during a press conference in Turkey but was unable to appear due to “security concerns.” His documents are said to include eye-witness police accounts.
The attack at Khan al-Assal in the northern province of Aleppo killed more than two dozen people. Both government and rebels blame each other for what they say was an assault involving chemical weapons.
In the meantime, the Syrian opposition claims it has received information about government convoys carrying chemical weapons with one reaching a military airport near Damascus and another arriving near Deraa.
The head of the Syrian National Coalition, Khaled Saleh, said: “We received information in the last couple of days, that there were three convoys that were carrying chemical weapons, rockets with chemical heads, left their locations and now we can confirm, that two of them arrived at their final destination” .
Israel has been defending its earlier testing of missile launchers in the Mediterranean close to Syria.
The missiles were detected by Russian radar earlier triggering an alert across the region.
Israel says it is necessary for its army to carry out training to maintain its edge.
Western warships have been gathering in the Mediterranean and the Red Sea ahead of an expected attack against Syria.
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 4What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
Plane debris to be sent to France to investigate possible links to MH370
Russia ‘involved’ in Litvinenko death says Scotland Yard
Belgian dairy farmers block roads in more price protests
Northern California ‘Rocky Fire’ blazes out of control
Wires > News
- 22:06 CET Indian Ocean debris almost certainly from Boeing 777 – Malaysia
- 21:26 CET Scioli maintains lead in Argentina presidential race – poll
- 21:22 CET Canadian pastor detained in North Korea makes TV confession -…
- 21:20 CET Venezuela troops occupy Polar food distribution warehouses
- 20:40 CET U.S. agency probes possible legal violation in lion killing -…
- 20:38 CET Greece’s Tsipras challenges party bailout critics to showdown
- 20:36 CET Russia modernising S-300 missile system for Iran – RIA, citing…
- 20:18 CET Religious assailant attacks Jerusalem Gay Pride parade, wounding…