03/09/13 18:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A Syrian medical expert has defected to Turkey and claims he has evidence that President Assad’s regime used chemical weapons in an attack near Aleppo in March.
Dr Abdeltawwab Shahrour who is head of the forensic medicine committee in Aleppo was expected to reveal the details of the attack during a press conference in Turkey but was unable to appear due to “security concerns.” His documents are said to include eye-witness police accounts.
The attack at Khan al-Assal in the northern province of Aleppo killed more than two dozen people. Both government and rebels blame each other for what they say was an assault involving chemical weapons.
In the meantime, the Syrian opposition claims it has received information about government convoys carrying chemical weapons with one reaching a military airport near Damascus and another arriving near Deraa.
The head of the Syrian National Coalition, Khaled Saleh, said: “We received information in the last couple of days, that there were three convoys that were carrying chemical weapons, rockets with chemical heads, left their locations and now we can confirm, that two of them arrived at their final destination” .
Israel has been defending its earlier testing of missile launchers in the Mediterranean close to Syria.
The missiles were detected by Russian radar earlier triggering an alert across the region.
Israel says it is necessary for its army to carry out training to maintain its edge.
Western warships have been gathering in the Mediterranean and the Red Sea ahead of an expected attack against Syria.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
IKEA recalls millions of chests and dressers following link to children’s deaths
France: deadly fire engulfs chemical plant near Lyon
Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
Thousands protest in France as Senate approves controversial labour law
Wires > News
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 01:18 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down
- 23:44 CET Exclusive – Trump supporters more likely to view blacks…
- 23:11 CET Women subjected to torture by Mexican police, armed forces – report