The stride taken by American global computing software giant Microsoft towards a new level of competition against consumer electronics rival Apple and Internet-related service corporation Google could amount to nothing less than a revolution in smartphones and personal computers (PCs), on a planetary scale.
The agreement by communications and IT firm Nokia of Finland to sell Microsoft its main handset business marks a significant mutation in the booming mobile market, as PCs have rapidly taken second place to smartphones and one-piece computer tablets.
Microsoft still has huge revenues from its Windows computer operating system, business software and gaming console. But it is far from a leading player in mobile devices. Google’s Android and Apple’s iOS system make up more than 90 percent of the market.
Nokia first partnered up with Microsoft in 2011 when it began putting Microsoft Windows in its phones. Nokia dominated the handset business for 14 years. Korean electronics conglomerate Samsung overtook it in sales in 2012 . As US Apple forged ahead with its juggernaut iPhone product line, Nokia took a hammering. At least one analyst said Nokia’s phone business is changing hands at a ‘fire sale’ price; others aren’t so sure.
Microsoft’s strategy seems to be approaching Apple’s, in combining an operating system with an application store, an economic model that Apple invented, and which whammied the whole sector, Apple turning up trumps.
Buying Nokia, Microsoft flexes its muscles, adding smartphone potential to its Xbox game console and Surface tablet, seriously planning to fill out its product line.
The deal still needs Nokia shareholders’ and regulators’ approval; after that, Microsoft will have to prove there is a place for a third major player in smartphone operating systems. Telecoms companies say they aren’t against having a third giant in the game, balancing Apple and Google power.
Microsoft buys Nokia’s handset business
- 1Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 2Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 3Fatal floods batter India, Myanmar, Pakistan, Vietnam and Nepal
- 4Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
- 5UK police investigated over alleged child sex abuse cover-up involving former Prime Minister
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
ASEAN foreign ministers set to discuss South China Sea tensions
Nearly 1.5 million counterfeit cigarettes seized in Poland
California wildfires: Thousands told to flee as ‘Rocky’ ravages drought-parched terrain
Kosovo votes in favour war crimes court
Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
Wires > News
- 08:52 CET Pakistan hangs man lawyers say was a child when charged with murder
- 08:49 CET Good progress made on Pacific trade deal despite talks failure -…
- 08:47 CET Returning Uighurs attacked Thai, Chinese police, China says
- 08:35 CET Japan suspends work on U.S. base on Okinawa as Abe battles low…
- 06:06 CET Japan A-bomb survivors speak out against nuclear power, decry…
- 05:12 CET China’s foreign minister to visit Ebola-affected countries
- 04:10 CET Blast in Korean DMZ wounds two South Korean soldiers – military
- 03:59 CET Illegal immigration a dominant theme at Republican forum even…