At least fifteen militants have reportedly been killed in the Sinai Peninsula in a suspected attack by the Egyptian army.
Security sources claim the strikes were aimed at arms and explosive stores.
The state-run Nile TV says army helicopters targeted militant strongholds in the area – two villages south of Sheikh Zuweid, a town near the border with Israel and the Hamas-run Gaza Strip.
At the same time, Egyptian security forces have reportedly destroyed dozens of houses along the border with Gaza.
Some local residents fear it is part of an attempt to build a isolating buffer zone.
Egypt’s military has stepped up a campaign against Islamist militants in the area after deposing president Mohamed Mursi and has accused Gaza Palestinians of supporting the Muslim Brotherhood.
The crackdown, before and after Mursi’s ouster, has included closures of tunnels from Gaza the military believes have been used to move weapons, gunmen and goods across the border.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 3Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different?
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 17Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 18Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 19World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 07:47 CET Baltimore erupts in riots after funeral of black man who died in…
- 07:06 CET Japan’s Abe seeks to showcase close U.S. ties on landmark visit
- 06:22 CET South Korea court finds ferry captain guilty of homicide for 304…
- 06:21 CET Japan PM won’t attend Russian WW2 ceremony – government spokesman
- 05:06 CET China probes doctor over $18 million bribes, 100 houses
- 02:50 CET Kerry says Iran, world powers closer than ever to historic nuclear…
- 00:06 CET Mali pro-government militias seize northern town amid clashes
- 22:12 CET Gunman kills Bosnian policeman in apparent Islamist attack