At least fifteen militants have reportedly been killed in the Sinai Peninsula in a suspected attack by the Egyptian army.
Security sources claim the strikes were aimed at arms and explosive stores.
The state-run Nile TV says army helicopters targeted militant strongholds in the area – two villages south of Sheikh Zuweid, a town near the border with Israel and the Hamas-run Gaza Strip.
At the same time, Egyptian security forces have reportedly destroyed dozens of houses along the border with Gaza.
Some local residents fear it is part of an attempt to build a isolating buffer zone.
Egypt’s military has stepped up a campaign against Islamist militants in the area after deposing president Mohamed Mursi and has accused Gaza Palestinians of supporting the Muslim Brotherhood.
The crackdown, before and after Mursi’s ouster, has included closures of tunnels from Gaza the military believes have been used to move weapons, gunmen and goods across the border.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1International concern grows after fighting in Ukraine escalates
- 2Six French skiers perish in deadly Alpine avalanche
- 3Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 4Soaring Swiss franc may leave EU mortgage holders homeless
- 5Tsipras pledges end to ‘vicious cycle of austerity’ at victory speech in Greece
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 3‘Russia needs to return Crimea to Ukraine,’ says Kyiv official
- 4Japan outrage at ISIL claims it has executed hostage Haruna Yukawa
- 5US and EU officials condemn deadly rocket attacks in Mariupol
- 1Where do YOU rank on the world’s wealth scale?
- 2Pope Francis says Catholics don’t need to breed ‘like rabbits’
- 3Pupil power shames police in Nairobi as Kenyan school protest goes global
- 4Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 5German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 16France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 17HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 18NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 15:06 CET Argentina says journalists safe after one flees, fearing for life
- 15:05 CET Egypt doctor convicted over girl’s death in landmark FGM case
- 14:59 CET Spain’s Andalusia region to call early polls in test for Socialists
- 14:47 CET Prosecutor seeks 26-year jail sentence for Concordia captain
- 14:42 CET Rebels advance in Ukraine, Moscow faces sanctions threats
- 14:35 CET Obama, new Saudi king to discuss Yemen, Islamic State – White House
- 14:31 CET Greek leftists ally with right against bailout after huge election…
- 13:02 CET U.S. sees role for India in battle against Islamic State