At least fifteen militants have reportedly been killed in the Sinai Peninsula in a suspected attack by the Egyptian army.
Security sources claim the strikes were aimed at arms and explosive stores.
The state-run Nile TV says army helicopters targeted militant strongholds in the area – two villages south of Sheikh Zuweid, a town near the border with Israel and the Hamas-run Gaza Strip.
At the same time, Egyptian security forces have reportedly destroyed dozens of houses along the border with Gaza.
Some local residents fear it is part of an attempt to build a isolating buffer zone.
Egypt’s military has stepped up a campaign against Islamist militants in the area after deposing president Mohamed Mursi and has accused Gaza Palestinians of supporting the Muslim Brotherhood.
The crackdown, before and after Mursi’s ouster, has included closures of tunnels from Gaza the military believes have been used to move weapons, gunmen and goods across the border.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Afghanistan: Fifty dead after suicide attack during volleyball match
- 2Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 3Deadly floods in southern Morocco
- 4Femen lay bare their naked opposition to papal visit
- 5Violence erupts after policeman avoids charges over black teenager’s death
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 15Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:02 CET Lithuania may supply weapons as part of military aid to Ukraine -…
- 16:32 CET Islamic State targeted in 17 air strikes by U.S., allies
- 16:30 CET Romania’s next president sees power shift within weeks
- 16:28 CET Russian troops giving ‘backbone’ to Ukraine rebels – NATO commander
- 16:23 CET U.N. investigators urge Obama to release CIA report
- 15:52 CET Magnitude 7.0 quake hits off Indonesia, no tsunami warning
- 15:43 CET Syria ‘no-fly zone’ not being considered – NATO general
- 15:31 CET Cameroon army frees 16 hostages, including Polish priest