01/09/13 10:36 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Extraordinary amateur video from Taiwan shows a landslide cascading down a hill, then hitting a car.
It is followed by a massive boulder, which just misses the vehicle.
The man who made the footage, Lai Hong-Wei, said the driver and passenger inside the car suffered only minor injuries.
Tropical storm Kong-Rey dumped more than 500 millimetres of rain on Taiwan.
Officials said a total of 3,600 residents were evacuated, and train services and airline flights had been cancelled.
Rescue workers had to deal with flash flooding.
The government emergency centre said three people were known to have died.
A man and woman were rescued after their car became trapped in the southern city of Tainan.
Floodwater was reported to reached the second story level of buildings in some places in the west of the island.
Kong-Rey is the second tropical storm to hit this month.
Forecasters said torrential rain could continue across Taiwan until Monday.
- 1Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 2Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 3Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 4Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
- 5Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
Latest world news
British, US and European bond yields tumble on the prospect of lower interest rates
The UK needs a Brexit prime minister – Gove
Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
Firefighting plane lost in Russia
Will Brexit help him? Australian PM calls for stability ahead of tight general election
Wires > News
- 15:07 CET Austrian election re-run likely to be in September or October -…
- 14:51 CET Pakistan warns of ‘blowback’ from moving too fast against militants
- 14:36 CET Junta-ruled Thailand says it will buy three Chinese submarines
- 14:13 CET Al Qaeda leader warns of ‘gravest consequences’ if Boston marathon…
- 14:04 CET Delays in Britain forming a government would hurt them and us -…
- 13:56 CET Slovenian foreign minister offers resignation over border issue -…
- 13:48 CET EU’s Juncker after Brexit – ‘Everyone wants EU reforms – but what…
- 13:46 CET Syria rebels retake key town in western coastal province -…