Wildfires continue to affect Portugal, despite the efforts of over a thousand firefighters who continue their dangerous work. At least ten fires are still active in northern and central areas of the country.
One firefighter died on Thursday in the fire at Serra do Caramulo, a central mountainous region. Two others are seriously wounded and four are reported missing.
The fire raging in Serra do Caramulo, in the centre of Portugal, rekindled on Thursday and threatened several inhabited areas, including the municipality of Agueda. Six villages are surrounded by fire.
Maria Lopes Ferreira, a resident of Bezarreira, spoke of her terror as the flames approached:
“The fire burned with a terrible intensity it was burning on a site and suddenly burned ahead, and in a very short time, the fire walked kilometers,” she said.
In some areas, strong winds are feeding the flames of the forest fires.
The French government is allowing two planes to stay in Portugal until September 3 to aid the relief effort.
Almost 31,000 hectares have been destroyed by fire in Portugal this year, according to its Institute for the Conservation of Nature and Forests.Wildfires are continuing to affect Portugal with at least eleven still active in northern and central areas of the country. More than 1,000 firefighters and 250 vehicles are tackling the flames. Around 12.00 local some 500 firefighters are on site trying to tackle the blazes at Serra do Caramulo, with two active fronts, backed by 139 vehicles and five water-dropping aircrafts. Six villages are surrounded by fire. Some of the villagers lost their houses, corrals and cattle. One more female firefighter, 21, died today in the fire at Serra do Caramulo, while two others are seriously wounded and four are reported missing.
Wires > News
- 23:17 CET Western-backed Syrian opposition’s chief peace negotiator quits…
- 22:25 CET Killing of gorilla to save boy at Ohio zoo sparks outrage
- 21:30 CET Rubio warms to Trump, but won’t be his vice president
- 21:25 CET Jordan’s King Abdullah dissolves parliament, names caretaker PM
- 20:43 CET Brother of man killed in U.S. strike on Taliban chief files police…
- 19:09 CET U.N. concerned about rising political tensions in Cambodia
- 19:03 CET Five U.N. soldiers killed in central Mali attack
- 19:02 CET Merkel, Hollande together mark 100 years since Verdun battle