Wildfires continue to affect Portugal, despite the efforts of over a thousand firefighters who continue their dangerous work. At least ten fires are still active in northern and central areas of the country.
One firefighter died on Thursday in the fire at Serra do Caramulo, a central mountainous region. Two others are seriously wounded and four are reported missing.
The fire raging in Serra do Caramulo, in the centre of Portugal, rekindled on Thursday and threatened several inhabited areas, including the municipality of Agueda. Six villages are surrounded by fire.
Maria Lopes Ferreira, a resident of Bezarreira, spoke of her terror as the flames approached:
“The fire burned with a terrible intensity it was burning on a site and suddenly burned ahead, and in a very short time, the fire walked kilometers,” she said.
In some areas, strong winds are feeding the flames of the forest fires.
The French government is allowing two planes to stay in Portugal until September 3 to aid the relief effort.
Almost 31,000 hectares have been destroyed by fire in Portugal this year, according to its Institute for the Conservation of Nature and Forests.Wildfires are continuing to affect Portugal with at least eleven still active in northern and central areas of the country. More than 1,000 firefighters and 250 vehicles are tackling the flames. Around 12.00 local some 500 firefighters are on site trying to tackle the blazes at Serra do Caramulo, with two active fronts, backed by 139 vehicles and five water-dropping aircrafts. Six villages are surrounded by fire. Some of the villagers lost their houses, corrals and cattle. One more female firefighter, 21, died today in the fire at Serra do Caramulo, while two others are seriously wounded and four are reported missing.
- 1Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 2Eurogroup ministers to discuss new Greece aid proposal
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4The end of the road for Uber? Executives detained by French police
- 5Miss Universe turns ugly for Trump as US TV network cut ties with presidential candidate
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 6Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 7Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 8NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 19Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > News
- 23:19 CET Taiwan youth to China – Treat us like a country
- 22:42 CET Islamic State threatens to topple Hamas in Gaza
- 21:34 CET Legislation enacting Irish gay marriage vote delayed
- 21:15 CET Around 1,200 escape from Yemen prison, including al Qaeda suspects
- 21:07 CET Fearing euro exit, thousands of Greeks rally for ‘Yes’ vote
- 20:50 CET U.S., Iran presidents issue warnings as nuclear talks extended
- 20:47 CET Romania’s opposition wins spy agency vote as Ponta government…
- 19:35 CET Three killed in car bomb in suburb west of Cairo – sources