Wildfires continue to affect Portugal, despite the efforts of over a thousand firefighters who continue their dangerous work. At least ten fires are still active in northern and central areas of the country.
One firefighter died on Thursday in the fire at Serra do Caramulo, a central mountainous region. Two others are seriously wounded and four are reported missing.
The fire raging in Serra do Caramulo, in the centre of Portugal, rekindled on Thursday and threatened several inhabited areas, including the municipality of Agueda. Six villages are surrounded by fire.
Maria Lopes Ferreira, a resident of Bezarreira, spoke of her terror as the flames approached:
“The fire burned with a terrible intensity it was burning on a site and suddenly burned ahead, and in a very short time, the fire walked kilometers,” she said.
In some areas, strong winds are feeding the flames of the forest fires.
The French government is allowing two planes to stay in Portugal until September 3 to aid the relief effort.
Almost 31,000 hectares have been destroyed by fire in Portugal this year, according to its Institute for the Conservation of Nature and Forests.Wildfires are continuing to affect Portugal with at least eleven still active in northern and central areas of the country. More than 1,000 firefighters and 250 vehicles are tackling the flames. Around 12.00 local some 500 firefighters are on site trying to tackle the blazes at Serra do Caramulo, with two active fronts, backed by 139 vehicles and five water-dropping aircrafts. Six villages are surrounded by fire. Some of the villagers lost their houses, corrals and cattle. One more female firefighter, 21, died today in the fire at Serra do Caramulo, while two others are seriously wounded and four are reported missing.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Trump is Republican presumptive nominee after crushing Cruz in Indiana
Wildfire triggers emergency evacuation in Alberta
Israeli troops shoot dead driver of rammed car
Google and Fiat to team up on self drive cars
Bahrain’s king holidays at Sharm el-Sheikh and tips Egypt for tourism
Wires > News
- 07:48 CET ‘Bongbong’, the son, leads Marcos revival in the Philippines
- 07:36 CET Canadian wildfire forces evacuation order for entire city
- 07:29 CET Turkey approves law among final hurdles for EU visa deal
- 06:14 CET Amid scandal, China military hospital closes doors to new patients
- 05:00 CET Top prosecutor asks to investigate Brazil president
- 04:32 CET Tough-talking mayor keeps poll lead a week before Philippine…
- 04:21 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 04:20 CET Australian mining magnate Clive Palmer won’t seek re-election