South Korean newspaper Chosun Ilbo has reported that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un’s ex-girlfriend was among a group of North-Koreans executed by firing squad on August 20.
Citing sources from China, the paper said singer Hyon Song-wol and several other performers were executed in public for violating pornography laws.
The group is said to have included members of the Unhasu Orchestra as well as other singers, musicians and dancers with the Wangjaesan Light Music Band.
They were found guilty of filming themselves having sex and then selling the videos.
An unconfirmed Chinese source said: “They were executed with machine guns while the key members of the Unhasu Orchestra, Wangjaesan Light Band and Moranbong Band as well as the families of the victims looked on.”
The source also reported that the families of the executed people seemed to have been sent away to prison camps, following the country’s “guilty by association” law.
Kim Jong-un is reported to have met Hyon ten years ago but Kim Jong-un’s father forbade the relationship and both went on to marry other people. However, according to Chosun Ilbo there have been rumours that the two were having an affair.
The newspaper said that Kim Jong-un’s wife had also sang with the Unhasu Orchestra before her marriage to the leader, adding: “Whether she had any hand in the executions is unclear.”
Speaking to UK newspaper the Telegraph Toshimitsu Shigemura, a professor and expert on North Korean affairs said: “If these people had only made pornographic videos, then it is simply not believable that their punishment was execution…They could have been made to disappear into the prison system there instead…There is a political reason behind this.”
Hyon was known for singing with the Pochonbo Electronic Ensemble which performs propaganda and revolutionary songs. Her popularity reportedly peaked in 2005 with her song “Excellent Horse-Like Lady”.
Reportedly the Unhasu Orchestra and the Wangjaesan Light Band have both been disbanded due to the pornography scandal.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1France launches initial airstrikes against IS and promises more to come
- 2Tens of thousands homeless after flooding in Philippines
- 3Giant hail stones rain down on Italian city of Florence
- 4Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle
- 5France says its jets launch first air strikes in Iraq
- 1[As it happened] Still United Kingdom: Scottish voters reject independence
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Russia: new EU sanctions look ‘strange’ says Putin
- 4Young American sentenced to six-years hard labour in North Korea
- 5US and NATO troops begin military exercises in Ukraine
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 10Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 11Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 12#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 13EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 14The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 15#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 16Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 19Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 20Marine Le Pen criticises France’s decision to halt Mistral warship sale to Russia | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 03:33 CET Austrian town officials resign after Nazi basement film
- 02:09 CET North Korea says imprisoned American tried to become ‘second…
- 01:56 CET Kiev, rebels agree to extra measures to ensure Ukraine cease-fire
- 01:43 CET U.S., Canada send jets to intercept Russian aircraft
- 01:36 CET Chad accuses U.N. of neglecting its peacekeepers in Mali
- 01:05 CET Third term beckons for New Zealand government as polls open
- 00:26 CET Ebola lockdown brings Sierra Leone capital to a halt
- 22:45 CET Insight – Campaign donations highlight winners, losers in Brazil…