Wildfires are continuing to rage in parts of Portugal
Around 1,400 firefighters are tackling the flames which intensified in the early hours of Thursday morning because of high winds.
At least 28 fires are still out of control in the northern and central areas of Portugal, particularly in the mountain range of Caramulo and the national park of Alvao. The districts of Bragança, Braga, Vila Real, Porto, Guarda, Viseu and Coimbra are all affected.
In the region of Vila Flor in the north, one man had seen his vineyard go up in flames, said:“I had a vineyard but its burned, burned. Wine, a small forest, everything’s burned”
Several villages have had to be evacuated, with flames of up to 30 metres surrounding them.
It is estimated that nearly 40,000 hectares of forest have been destroyed by fires this year.
- 1Greek Prime Minister Tsipras confirms referendum, calls for Greeks to reject creditors’ proposal
- 2Time runs out: Greece misses 1.6 billion-euro IMF repayment
- 3Debt “dithering” sparks online bid to raise €1.6 billion to help Greece
- 4Greece’s eurozone future in balance as bailout expires
- 5Ukraine stops buying Russian gas over price row
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
Wires > News
- 11:36 CET At least 36 die in Philippine ferry sinking, 127 survive
- 11:26 CET Iran wages media onslaught against Saudis over Yemen war
- 10:54 CET Dutch police fire warning shots during unrest over arrest death
- 10:53 CET China military spending probe finds ‘long-standing abuses’
- 10:07 CET ‘Wow, pulled back wrong throttle’ – captain of crashed TransAsia…
- 09:14 CET Bangladesh arrests 12 suspected al Qaeda militants
- 07:29 CET Indonesia to call off search for victims in deadly military plane…
- 02:24 CET Images show Chinese airstrip on man-made Spratly island nearly…