29/08/13 13:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Wildfires are continuing to rage in parts of Portugal
Around 1,400 firefighters are tackling the flames which intensified in the early hours of Thursday morning because of high winds.
At least 28 fires are still out of control in the northern and central areas of Portugal, particularly in the mountain range of Caramulo and the national park of Alvao. The districts of Bragança, Braga, Vila Real, Porto, Guarda, Viseu and Coimbra are all affected.
In the region of Vila Flor in the north, one man had seen his vineyard go up in flames, said:“I had a vineyard but its burned, burned. Wine, a small forest, everything’s burned”
Several villages have had to be evacuated, with flames of up to 30 metres surrounding them.
It is estimated that nearly 40,000 hectares of forest have been destroyed by fires this year.
Latest world news
Iran election: ‘Victory’ for allies of reformist Rouhani
Trump jokes about protest in California
Air strikes and shelling cause more deaths in Aleppo
Kenya burns over a hundred tons of elephant tusks and calls for a worldwide ban on ivory sales
Norwegian helicopter crash victims all presumed dead
Wires > News
- 10:38 CET Bomb in Baghdad suburb kills at least 13 – police sources
- 09:58 CET Thailand jails nine activists charged with sedition, computer…
- 09:13 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…