29/08/13 13:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Wildfires are continuing to rage in parts of Portugal
Around 1,400 firefighters are tackling the flames which intensified in the early hours of Thursday morning because of high winds.
At least 28 fires are still out of control in the northern and central areas of Portugal, particularly in the mountain range of Caramulo and the national park of Alvao. The districts of Bragança, Braga, Vila Real, Porto, Guarda, Viseu and Coimbra are all affected.
In the region of Vila Flor in the north, one man had seen his vineyard go up in flames, said:“I had a vineyard but its burned, burned. Wine, a small forest, everything’s burned”
Several villages have had to be evacuated, with flames of up to 30 metres surrounding them.
It is estimated that nearly 40,000 hectares of forest have been destroyed by fires this year.
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Eurozone finance ministers and IMF agree a further €10.3bn tranche of bailout funds for Greece.
Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
Paris attacks: victims families seek answers
UN chief Ban voices his disappointment as first World Humanitarian Summit closes
Monsanto rejects Bayer multi-billion dollar bid
Wires > News
- 02:59 CET Japan PM Abe to meet with Obama, Cameron ahead of G7 summit
- 02:51 CET After benefits of cheap oil, India counts cost of reduced Gulf…
- 00:50 CET Pakistan can’t confirm Taliban leader is dead, criticises …
- 23:17 CET Daughter of detained Hong Kong bookseller appeals for U.S. help
- 23:01 CET Brazil’s Temer seeks constitutional change to curb public spending
- 22:19 CET Egyptian appeals court cancels five-year jail terms for 47 over…
- 22:11 CET Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- 22:07 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term ‘like from the old days’