28/08/13 20:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Hundreds of ancient Egyptian artefacts have been vandalised and looted from a museum outside Cairo.
A ticket agent was also killed when the Malawi Museum, close to the River Nile, was stormed by looters.
The raiders stole artefacts including jewellery, pottery, coins and sculptures to sell on the black market as well as setting fire to two mummies and smashing up anything that was too big to carry away.
Archaeologist, Monica Hanna, gave a sense of the scale of the loss: “I think we are missing around 500 objects. When the break in happened here at the Egyptian Museum the loss was around 50 objects, so imagine this loss is ten times bigger”.
Museum curators say there is also a problem with Egyptians digging up archaeological sites.“A lot of the Egyptian population are mad about going out and digging for antiquities. People dig under their houses, people dig on archaeological sites. It’s really out of control,” Hanna said.
The scale of the looting demonstrates the security vacuum that has taken hold in cities outside Cairo, where most police have disappeared from the streets.
When Hanna asked a group of teenagers wielding guns to stop destroying the artefacts, she says they told her they were getting back at the government for killing people in Cairo.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Fatal rebel rocket attack on government hospital in Aleppo says Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots
Australia vows no change in asylum policy after Somali woman sets herself on fire
Wires > News
- 12:22 CET China to investigate hospital dying student found on search engine
- 12:15 CET Rebel rockets hit Aleppo hospital, dozens of casualties – Syrian…
- 12:08 CET Czechs to hike healthcare salaries to stop doctors from leaving…
- 11:59 CET Spanish King calls national election for June 26
- 11:52 CET U.S. service member killed in Iraq – U.S. defence chief
- 11:48 CET France’s Hollande sends labour bill to parliament in face of…
- 11:38 CET Australian government delivers sombre election budget for…
- 11:13 CET China slashes influential Communist Youth League’s budget