27/08/13 07:40 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Zurich’s so-called drive-in ‘sex boxes’ opened for business on Monday and got off to a “promising start” according to Thomas Meier, a spokesman for the city’s social services.
Due to the large amount of public interest in the site Meier explained that “expectations were low for the first evening”. But, seemingly, not everyone was put off, with a few clients and around 30 prostitutes making use of the facilities on the first night.
The aim of the publicly funded experiment is to make prostitution safer. There are no surveillance cameras on site, although the sex workers do have a panic button and access to an on-site social worker.
Located in Altstetten in a former industrial area of the city, the project also hopes to take control of prostitution and move it out of the city centre.
The spokesman added that it could take weeks or months before the site is operational at the desired level because “prostitution is a business that requires a certain degree of confidentiality”. On the opening night only a handful of sex workers were seen in the first hour, likely intimidated by the presence of cameras and journalists.
The ‘sex-boxes’, which are accessible only to motorists, can accommodate up to 50 prostitutes and are open all night. There are also bathrooms, lockers, a laundry room and a shower available for use by the sex workers. They need a permit to use the facilities and will have to pay a small tax.
An organisation will also be on site daily to offer them counselling, medical advice and even German lessons.
Prostitution has been legal in Switzerland since 1942, but growing numbers of sex workers and violence attributed to the trade are beginning to cause problems in certain areas of the city, exasperating local residents.
- 1Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 2Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
- 3Turkey warns Russia not to ‘play with fire’ over downing of fighter jet
- 4Belgian police release new details about on-the-run fifth Paris suspect
- 5Mali: at least 3 dead in attack on UN peacekeepers base in Kidal
- 1Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Lavrov hits Turkey with more penalties, doubts commitment to war on “secret allies” ISIL
- 4Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 5Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
- 1Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 2Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 3Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 4Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 5Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 10latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20Terrorist threat on Europe’s rail network, according to German tabloid
Latest world news
All eyes on King Tut’s tomb in search for ancient Egypt’s lost Queen Nefertiti
Mali: rocket attack on Kidal UN base kills 3, injures 20
COP21: climate change provokes protests of all shapes and sizes
Another border fence in Europe ahead of crucial migration summit
Top Kurdish lawyer Tahir Elci shot dead in Turkey
Wires > News
- 18:38 CET Elite Kosovo police arrest opposition leader over tear gas
- 18:22 CET Protesters delay German minister on train to Paris climate talks
- 17:42 CET Kremlin says Putin ‘fully mobilised’ to tackle threat from Turkey
- 17:20 CET Top Kurdish lawyer shot dead in southeast Turkey
- 17:17 CET Boko Haram claims responsibility for Kano suicide bomb – SITE
- 16:58 CET Detained journalists urge EU not to compromise with Turkey over…
- 16:48 CET Nearly 1000 people denied entry to France since attacks – minister
- 16:47 CET Leader of German anti-immigrant party calls on Merkel to resign