27/08/13 07:40 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Zurich’s so-called drive-in ‘sex boxes’ opened for business on Monday and got off to a “promising start” according to Thomas Meier, a spokesman for the city’s social services.
Due to the large amount of public interest in the site Meier explained that “expectations were low for the first evening”. But, seemingly, not everyone was put off, with a few clients and around 30 prostitutes making use of the facilities on the first night.
The aim of the publicly funded experiment is to make prostitution safer. There are no surveillance cameras on site, although the sex workers do have a panic button and access to an on-site social worker.
Located in Altstetten in a former industrial area of the city, the project also hopes to take control of prostitution and move it out of the city centre.
The spokesman added that it could take weeks or months before the site is operational at the desired level because “prostitution is a business that requires a certain degree of confidentiality”. On the opening night only a handful of sex workers were seen in the first hour, likely intimidated by the presence of cameras and journalists.
The ‘sex-boxes’, which are accessible only to motorists, can accommodate up to 50 prostitutes and are open all night. There are also bathrooms, lockers, a laundry room and a shower available for use by the sex workers. They need a permit to use the facilities and will have to pay a small tax.
An organisation will also be on site daily to offer them counselling, medical advice and even German lessons.
Prostitution has been legal in Switzerland since 1942, but growing numbers of sex workers and violence attributed to the trade are beginning to cause problems in certain areas of the city, exasperating local residents.
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2US: Cars parked on frozen lake rescued after ice cracks
- 3One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 4Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 5S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Latest world news
‘The Revenant’ director Inarritu scoops DGA award, as Oscars near
More problems at FYROM-Greek border slows refugees’ journey north
Taiwan quake: baby rescued 30 hours after building collapses, scores still inside
Two Koreas, two reactions after illegal rocket launch
US: Rubio under fire from rivals during Republican presidential debate
Wires > News
- 16:39 CET Fire on Mexico Pemex platform kills two workers, now under control
- 16:22 CET Saudi King Salman calls for others not to interfere in kingdom
- 16:14 CET UAE says ready to support anti-Islamic State coalition with troops
- 16:09 CET Irish finance minister sets out income tax plan, would raise…
- 16:03 CET Obscure at home, ‘Texas Daddy’ is a right-wing darling in Japan
- 16:00 CET Insight – Doctors puzzle over severity of defects in some…
- 14:44 CET Burundi grenade attacks kill four, including a child
- 14:40 CET Algerian lawmakers pass constitutional reforms, opposition dismiss