A series of bombs and shootings killed at least 47 people in several areas across Iraq on Sunday.
A car bomb that blew up near a housing complex in the city of Baquba left 11 people dead.
Five soldiers were killed when they were ambushed by suspected militants. The victims were reportedly travelling in two taxis from Baghdad to join their units in Mosul.
Further attacks in Madaen, Baghdad, Balad, Mosul and Baquba killed the other 32 victims of Sunday’s violence.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks, however Sunni Islamist militants are suspected. Their insurgency against the Shi’ite-led government has gained momentum in recent months.
On Friday, a suicide bomber killed 25 people at a busy Baghdad cafe.
Sunni Muslim insurgents and the al Qaeda-affiliated Islamic State of Iraq have significantly increased their attacks this year. Over 1,000 Iraqis were killed in July, the highest monthly death toll since 2008, according to the United Nations.
More than two years of civil war in neighbouring Syria have aggravated deep-rooted sectarian divisions and shaken Iraq’s fragile coalition of Shi’ite, Kurdish and Sunni factions.
Latest world news
Greenpeace leaks secret TTIP documents as US-EU trade talks spark protest
Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
Trump and Clinton edge closer to presidential face-off as Indiana looms
Seattle May day march turns violent
Princess Charlotte: Photos released to mark first birthday
Wires > News
- 14:15 CET German establishment rounds on anti-immigration party over Islam
- 14:12 CET South Korea warns of risk North may abduct citizens abroad
- 14:08 CET Saudi Arabia looks to UK, France and China for help building homes
- 14:05 CET Nepal, northern India battle worst forest fires in years
- 13:59 CET Bombs in Baghdad kill 14, including some Shi’ite pilgrims
- 13:57 CET Far-right crimes rise sharply in Austria amid migrant crisis
- 13:33 CET U.S. leads 25 strikes against Islamic State in Iraq, Syria…
- 13:33 CET Hague court says Italian sailor should return home – Italy