A series of bombs and shootings killed at least 47 people in several areas across Iraq on Sunday.
A car bomb that blew up near a housing complex in the city of Baquba left 11 people dead.
Five soldiers were killed when they were ambushed by suspected militants. The victims were reportedly travelling in two taxis from Baghdad to join their units in Mosul.
Further attacks in Madaen, Baghdad, Balad, Mosul and Baquba killed the other 32 victims of Sunday’s violence.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks, however Sunni Islamist militants are suspected. Their insurgency against the Shi’ite-led government has gained momentum in recent months.
On Friday, a suicide bomber killed 25 people at a busy Baghdad cafe.
Sunni Muslim insurgents and the al Qaeda-affiliated Islamic State of Iraq have significantly increased their attacks this year. Over 1,000 Iraqis were killed in July, the highest monthly death toll since 2008, according to the United Nations.
More than two years of civil war in neighbouring Syria have aggravated deep-rooted sectarian divisions and shaken Iraq’s fragile coalition of Shi’ite, Kurdish and Sunni factions.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 3Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 4EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Latest world news
Americans warned Euro 2016 and other major events could be terror targets this Summer – State Department
Golden State set up rematch of 2015 NBA finals after beating Oklahoma in decisive game seven
French strikes multiply as Euro 2016 nears
Public sector strike heightens industrial strife in Belgium
Migrant death toll in Mediterranean over past week ‘rises to 880’
Wires > News
- 17:50 CET Looming EU referendum casts shadow for British retirees in Spain
- 17:47 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says German law on Armenian genocide could damage…
- 17:45 CET In South Africa, boys more likely to be sexually abused than girls…
- 17:40 CET U.S. warns citizens of possible terrorist attacks in Europe
- 17:00 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korea
- 16:51 CET African envoys say Egyptian called sub-Saharan Africa ‘dogs and…
- 16:42 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says unsure what ‘first step’ Moscow wants to…
- 16:15 CET Doll confusion delays Israel-bound flight from Cyprus