Skipper Dean Barker and his Emirates Team New Zealand completed their demolition of Luna Rossa on Sunday to win the Louis Vuitton Cup.
Team New Zealand celebrated a 7-1 overall victory in the best-of-13 series in San Francisco and booked their ticket for the 34th edition of the America’s Cup.
Awaiting Barker and his crew in the final of the 152-year old race are defending champions Oracle Team USA.
The best of 17-race series also takes place in San Francisco and begins on September 7th.
Apart from one defeat due to equipment failure earlier in the month the Kiwis had dominated the Italians in the final on the 10 nautical mile course.
Team New Zealand had superior boat speed throughout the regatta and after setting a course speed record on Saturday were again in a class of their own in race eight.
They sailed across the line at 74 kilometres an hour and cruised to a three minute and 20 second victory over the Italian syndicate, helmed by Briton Chris Draper.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 23:21 CET Coentrao strike seals Portugal win over Serbia
- 23:15 CET Late Long strike denies Poland victory in Ireland
- 23:05 CET Scotland smash Gibraltar, but a new ‘Rock star’ emerges
- 22:33 CET Red-hot Lafferty keeps Northern Ireland on course for finals
- 21:15 CET ‘Lucky escape’ for National great Champion
- 20:42 CET Reus, Mueller on target as Germany ease past Georgia
- 18:23 CET Soccer-Brazil sink feisty Chile to continue winning run
- 17:14 CET In-form Porte triumphs in Tour of Catalonia