Skipper Dean Barker and his Emirates Team New Zealand completed their demolition of Luna Rossa on Sunday to win the Louis Vuitton Cup.
Team New Zealand celebrated a 7-1 overall victory in the best-of-13 series in San Francisco and booked their ticket for the 34th edition of the America’s Cup.
Awaiting Barker and his crew in the final of the 152-year old race are defending champions Oracle Team USA.
The best of 17-race series also takes place in San Francisco and begins on September 7th.
Apart from one defeat due to equipment failure earlier in the month the Kiwis had dominated the Italians in the final on the 10 nautical mile course.
Team New Zealand had superior boat speed throughout the regatta and after setting a course speed record on Saturday were again in a class of their own in race eight.
They sailed across the line at 74 kilometres an hour and cruised to a three minute and 20 second victory over the Italian syndicate, helmed by Briton Chris Draper.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
Wires > Sport
- 16:17 CET Clarke sticks to McGinley’s winning format for 2016 Ryder Cup
- 16:15 CET West Ham back in Europe after ‘fair play’ success
- 15:10 CET Tokyo governor hits out at “ridiculous” 2020 bill
- 14:53 CET Germany give Mueller, Kroos a rest after long year
- 14:42 CET History-maker Bayliss set for Ashes baptism of fire
- 14:34 CET De Villota crash enquiry ends without further action
- 13:18 CET Del Bosque taps Sevilla duo for Belarus qualifier
- 13:04 CET Key Real players rally behind sacked Ancelotti