Skipper Dean Barker and his Emirates Team New Zealand completed their demolition of Luna Rossa on Sunday to win the Louis Vuitton Cup.
Team New Zealand celebrated a 7-1 overall victory in the best-of-13 series in San Francisco and booked their ticket for the 34th edition of the America’s Cup.
Awaiting Barker and his crew in the final of the 152-year old race are defending champions Oracle Team USA.
The best of 17-race series also takes place in San Francisco and begins on September 7th.
Apart from one defeat due to equipment failure earlier in the month the Kiwis had dominated the Italians in the final on the 10 nautical mile course.
Team New Zealand had superior boat speed throughout the regatta and after setting a course speed record on Saturday were again in a class of their own in race eight.
They sailed across the line at 74 kilometres an hour and cruised to a three minute and 20 second victory over the Italian syndicate, helmed by Briton Chris Draper.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 4Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 5Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 6European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 7Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 8McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 9Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 10NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 13Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 14Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 15The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 16Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 17Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 18Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 19Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 20Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 21:12 CET Khan donates 30,000 pounds shorts to Peshawar school
- 20:53 CET Viktor vindicated as Russian switch pays off
- 20:44 CET Brazil capitulate under 64 years of expectation
- 20:36 CET Uncertain future for Ben Arfa as Hull loan ends early
- 20:30 CET Warrior spirit leads Nishikori to new heights
- 20:25 CET Wust skates among the greats after Sochi
- 20:18 CET What a difference a year makes for McIlroy
- 20:13 CET Germany end title drought with sparkling run in Brazil