Skipper Dean Barker and his Emirates Team New Zealand completed their demolition of Luna Rossa on Sunday to win the Louis Vuitton Cup.
Team New Zealand celebrated a 7-1 overall victory in the best-of-13 series in San Francisco and booked their ticket for the 34th edition of the America’s Cup.
Awaiting Barker and his crew in the final of the 152-year old race are defending champions Oracle Team USA.
The best of 17-race series also takes place in San Francisco and begins on September 7th.
Apart from one defeat due to equipment failure earlier in the month the Kiwis had dominated the Italians in the final on the 10 nautical mile course.
Team New Zealand had superior boat speed throughout the regatta and after setting a course speed record on Saturday were again in a class of their own in race eight.
They sailed across the line at 74 kilometres an hour and cruised to a three minute and 20 second victory over the Italian syndicate, helmed by Briton Chris Draper.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 6India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 7What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > Sport
- 13:01 CET Donald’s swagger returns in Dubai birdie splurge
- 12:45 CET ‘Woeful’ Hull must make amends against Spurs, says Bruce
- 12:42 CET Qatar should stage World Cup only if exploitation stops – Champagne
- 12:17 CET Hamilton fastest in first Abu Dhabi practice
- 11:56 CET Caterham administrator to probe ex-management
- 11:41 CET Cricket Australia rebuff selector Waugh’s ‘marketing’ comment
- 10:27 CET World No.1 Lee hopes for ‘good results’ from BWF panel
- 05:42 CET Australia opposed to late-night swimming finals in Rio