Skipper Dean Barker and his Emirates Team New Zealand completed their demolition of Luna Rossa on Sunday to win the Louis Vuitton Cup.
Team New Zealand celebrated a 7-1 overall victory in the best-of-13 series in San Francisco and booked their ticket for the 34th edition of the America’s Cup.
Awaiting Barker and his crew in the final of the 152-year old race are defending champions Oracle Team USA.
The best of 17-race series also takes place in San Francisco and begins on September 7th.
Apart from one defeat due to equipment failure earlier in the month the Kiwis had dominated the Italians in the final on the 10 nautical mile course.
Team New Zealand had superior boat speed throughout the regatta and after setting a course speed record on Saturday were again in a class of their own in race eight.
They sailed across the line at 74 kilometres an hour and cruised to a three minute and 20 second victory over the Italian syndicate, helmed by Briton Chris Draper.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 15Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 18[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 19Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > Sport
- 14:16 CET Romanian club sack Brazilian coach for second time in a week
- 13:55 CET Trump’s Turnberry to undergo major changes for future Opens
- 13:38 CET Villa charged following fans’ pitch invasion
- 12:56 CET Ding pays maximum penalty for concentration lapse
- 12:09 CET Murray pleased with choice of Queen’s as Davis Cup venue
- 11:45 CET We’ve let ourselves down this term, says City keeper Hart
- 04:39 CET Two-cap Wallaby Betham joins European exodus
- 00:23 CET I’ve improved as a batsman, says England’s off form Cook