As UN inspectors continue their work in Syria, opposition exiles gathered in Brussels on Monday to call for swift Western action to oust Bashar al-Assad.
Some 100 anti-Assad demonstrators gathered in the Belgian capital to protest against the regime’s alleged use of chemical weapons.
They say European powers must come to the aid of the Syrian people.
“We are asking for military intervention. We want the Europeans to protect the Syrian population, who are being massacred before the entire world. What happened to human rights?,” asked Rabih Chaar, a coordinator for the Syrian opposition in Belgium.
Georges Chachan, the leader of the Syrian National Council in Belgium, said the West must help rebuild Syria if Assad is removed from power.
“In reality, it’s about military intervention first and foremost so that what is happening in Syria does not spread across the whole region. But we need an intervention that goes further than taking Assad out; we need to help the Syrian people build a democratic country,” he told euronews.
The demonstrators sent a letter to EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton to urge the bloc to take action against the Assad regime.
A spokesman for Ashton on Monday declined to comment on reported British-American plans to launch air strikes on Syrian military targets.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 15Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news