As UN inspectors continue their work in Syria, opposition exiles gathered in Brussels on Monday to call for swift Western action to oust Bashar al-Assad.
Some 100 anti-Assad demonstrators gathered in the Belgian capital to protest against the regime’s alleged use of chemical weapons.
They say European powers must come to the aid of the Syrian people.
“We are asking for military intervention. We want the Europeans to protect the Syrian population, who are being massacred before the entire world. What happened to human rights?,” asked Rabih Chaar, a coordinator for the Syrian opposition in Belgium.
Georges Chachan, the leader of the Syrian National Council in Belgium, said the West must help rebuild Syria if Assad is removed from power.
“In reality, it’s about military intervention first and foremost so that what is happening in Syria does not spread across the whole region. But we need an intervention that goes further than taking Assad out; we need to help the Syrian people build a democratic country,” he told euronews.
The demonstrators sent a letter to EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton to urge the bloc to take action against the Assad regime.
A spokesman for Ashton on Monday declined to comment on reported British-American plans to launch air strikes on Syrian military targets.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum