26/08/13 16:38 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
As UN inspectors continue their work in Syria, opposition exiles gathered in Brussels on Monday to call for swift Western action to oust Bashar al-Assad.
Some 100 anti-Assad demonstrators gathered in the Belgian capital to protest against the regime’s alleged use of chemical weapons.
They say European powers must come to the aid of the Syrian people.
“We are asking for military intervention. We want the Europeans to protect the Syrian population, who are being massacred before the entire world. What happened to human rights?,” asked Rabih Chaar, a coordinator for the Syrian opposition in Belgium.
Georges Chachan, the leader of the Syrian National Council in Belgium, said the West must help rebuild Syria if Assad is removed from power.
“In reality, it’s about military intervention first and foremost so that what is happening in Syria does not spread across the whole region. But we need an intervention that goes further than taking Assad out; we need to help the Syrian people build a democratic country,” he told euronews.
The demonstrators sent a letter to EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton to urge the bloc to take action against the Assad regime.
A spokesman for Ashton on Monday declined to comment on reported British-American plans to launch air strikes on Syrian military targets.
- 1Schengen under pressure after terror attacks
- 2Europe Weekly: Belgium under scrutiny after terror alert dropped
- 3Shifting cargo from road to water
- 4Russia envoy to EU sees ‘negative impact’ on Turkey ties
- 5Climate change – will the Paris summit see a meeting of minds on how to tackle global warming?
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 12Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 15Latest sport news
- 16‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 17Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary