A convoy of United Nations inspectors has headed to the site of an alleged gas attack outside of Damascus, the Syrian capital.
The team of chemical weapons experts was accompanied to the rebel-controlled area, Eastern Ghouta, by security forces and an ambulance.
The announcement by the government of Bashar al-Assad to allow the inspectors to investigate Wednesday’s attack comes after the arrival of UN disarmament chief Angela Kane, who met with Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Al-Moualem.
Syrian state media said that chemical agents had been found in tunnels used by rebels and that government forces had suffered “suffocation” in the Jobar district of Damascus.
Medecins Sans Frontieres said over the weekend that it had treated more than 3,600 people with “neurotoxic symptoms”. 355 have reportedly died at three hospitals it supports in Damascus.
Both sides in the conflict have denied involvement in the attacks.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.