In Slovenia, there have been controversial celebrations of the 70th anniversary of the Domobranci, the country’s Home Guard during WWII.
The Domobranci pledged allegiance to the Nazis towards the end of the war.
One of the speakers at a ceremonies in the village of Rovte was leader of the right-wing opposition and former prime minister, Janez Jansa.
It was the first time a mainstream party had attended a remembrance ceremony for the Domobranci.
Jansa said: “We respect all those who have sincerely, by their own conscience given up their lives for a cause, fascism, national socialism and communism. All who died in this resistance deserve a proper grave and our respect. This can be the only basis for reconciliation”.
Jansa’s presence was criticised by the President of the Social Democrats, Igor Luksic, who said the Slovenian right had moved from being anti-communist to pro-fascist.
Protestors held placards outside saying “collaboration is a crime.”
The event also sparked debates over whether the Domobranci had been reacting to a Communist revolution, as they claim, or simply collaborators and traitors.
Thousands of people who had belonged to the Home Guard were systematically killed after the war for being collaborators under still controversial circumstances.
The events of WWII and the killings after the war are still a highly discussed topic in current Slovenian politics.
- 1German police make progress in profiling of Andreas Lubitz
- 2“I hope I never return to a locked door”: Pilot who foresaw Germanwings crash
- 3Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 4Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 5Istanbul: Police negotiate with gunmen who’ve taken prosecutor hostage
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 3Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 4Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 16Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 18Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 19Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 20London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
Wires > News
- 06:08 CET Death toll rises to 54 after Russian trawler sinks in Western…
- 05:58 CET Hong Kong court adjourns British banker murder case for five weeks
- 02:09 CET From brides to battlefield, women taking up new roles with Islamic…
- 01:08 CET Southeast Asia faces increasingly intense climate events – analysts
- 00:32 CET Oil platform fire toll in Gulf of Mexico: 4 dead, 302 evacuated
- 23:47 CET Islamic State seizes vast Damascus refugee camp
- 22:39 CET Canada says cost of anti-ISIS mission to be least C$528 million
- 22:22 CET Chad says hundreds of Boko Haram militants, nine soldiers killed…