26/08/13 10:54 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
In Slovenia, there have been controversial celebrations of the 70th anniversary of the Domobranci, the country’s Home Guard during WWII.
The Domobranci pledged allegiance to the Nazis towards the end of the war.
One of the speakers at a ceremonies in the village of Rovte was leader of the right-wing opposition and former prime minister, Janez Jansa.
It was the first time a mainstream party had attended a remembrance ceremony for the Domobranci.
Jansa said: “We respect all those who have sincerely, by their own conscience given up their lives for a cause, fascism, national socialism and communism. All who died in this resistance deserve a proper grave and our respect. This can be the only basis for reconciliation”.
Jansa’s presence was criticised by the President of the Social Democrats, Igor Luksic, who said the Slovenian right had moved from being anti-communist to pro-fascist.
Protestors held placards outside saying “collaboration is a crime.”
The event also sparked debates over whether the Domobranci had been reacting to a Communist revolution, as they claim, or simply collaborators and traitors.
Thousands of people who had belonged to the Home Guard were systematically killed after the war for being collaborators under still controversial circumstances.
The events of WWII and the killings after the war are still a highly discussed topic in current Slovenian politics.
Latest world news
Germany’s AfD party adopts anti-Islam manifesto
Baghdad protesters leave Green Zone but vow to keep up pressure over corruption
National issues highlighted in Europe’s May Day rallies
From Jerusalem to Damascus to Moscow, Orthodox Christians celebrate Easter
Brussels airport departure hall reopens after terror attacks
Wires > News
- 04:25 CET Egyptian police raid press syndicate, arrest two journalists
- 03:32 CET Wary of China’s Indian Ocean activities, U.S., India discuss…
- 03:12 CET Brazil’s Rousseff ups social spending as Senate ruling looms
- 03:08 CET Pope condemns paedophilia as details of girl’s death shock Italy
- 00:46 CET Puerto Rico declares moratorium on Government Development Bank’s…
- 23:05 CET Islamic State boosts attacks in response to territorial losses -…
- 22:43 CET French far-right veteran Le Pen predicts daughter’s failure in…
- 21:49 CET Bomb attack in southeast Turkey wounds 10 troops, Kurdish…