26/08/13 15:40 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
In the UK, the annual Notting Hill Carnival opened on Saturday August 25 with thousands of people gathering in North-West London to celebrate Caribbean culture.
The carnival, now in its 49th year, attracts nearly one million people over the weekend and typically includes parades, food, dance and music. But this year a special impromptu performance from three Metropolitan Police officers also brought cheers from the crowds.
Surrounded by festival revellers the three policemen put on an impressive performance, bumping and grinding for an improvised “dance-off” with their onlookers.
London newspaper the Evening Standard reported the clip had been posted by one London cop with the caption “good community relations in my opinion”. According to the paper, a Met spokesperson declined to comment but said: “I don’t think this is a problem if officers are getting in with the crowd”.
The Met did confirm that more than 100 people were arrested on the first day of the street party, mostly for drugs offences. Another 300 people were treated for minor injuries including cuts and bruises and other alcohol-related injuries.
Credit photo and video CC By joeyyhh on YouTube
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
EU migrant quotas: Hungary’s referendum gets the go-ahead
Circus lions rescued in South America arrive in new African home
90,000 unaccompanied children seek refugee in Europe in 2015
What happens when a journalist disappears?
Against all odds: Leicester City create “biggest ever betting shock”
Wires > News
- 10:05 CET Pakistan army launches inquiry into political worker’s death
- 09:53 CET Indonesia to hold new round of executions; no word on foreigners
- 09:50 CET Girl’s gang rape in Indonesia prompts angry calls for protection
- 09:33 CET Dhaka arrests five Bangladeshis deported from Singapore
- 09:28 CET Air raids hit east of Damascus after ‘calm’ expires – Observatory
- 08:40 CET Turkey approves law among final hurdles for EU visa deal
- 08:17 CET Car bomb blast in southeast Turkey kills one Turkish soldier…
- 08:01 CET Turkey’s Erdogan advances weekly PM meet to Wednesday as tension…