In the UK, the annual Notting Hill Carnival opened on Saturday August 25 with thousands of people gathering in North-West London to celebrate Caribbean culture.
The carnival, now in its 49th year, attracts nearly one million people over the weekend and typically includes parades, food, dance and music. But this year a special impromptu performance from three Metropolitan Police officers also brought cheers from the crowds.
Surrounded by festival revellers the three policemen put on an impressive performance, bumping and grinding for an improvised “dance-off” with their onlookers.
London newspaper the Evening Standard reported the clip had been posted by one London cop with the caption “good community relations in my opinion”. According to the paper, a Met spokesperson declined to comment but said: “I don’t think this is a problem if officers are getting in with the crowd”.
The Met did confirm that more than 100 people were arrested on the first day of the street party, mostly for drugs offences. Another 300 people were treated for minor injuries including cuts and bruises and other alcohol-related injuries.
Credit photo and video CC By joeyyhh on YouTube
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
British singer and TV star Cilla Black dies in Spain
Striking photos of the ‘not at all blue’ moon
UAE petrol prices start riding high
David Cameron moves to protect children from online porn
And also… Porn on parliament computers; crowdfunding for historic space suit; and drunk badger sleeps it off on beach
Wires > News
- 06:18 CET Republicans begin pivotal debate week with New Hampshire forum
- 04:44 CET Taiwan school textbook row highlights antipathy to ‘one China’
- 04:05 CET Mexico City prosecutor confirms killing of news photographer
- 03:17 CET U.N. states agree post-2015 sustainable development agenda
- 00:46 CET Nigeria’s army says rescued 178 captives of Boko Haram
- 22:44 CET Rouhani says nuclear deal a ‘third way’ for Iranian foreign policy
- 21:48 CET Saudi Arabian king leaves France after holiday controversy
- 21:21 CET Egypt president signs elections law – official gazette