Japan’s trade minister has visited the Fukushima nuclear plant after its latest and worst leak.
Last week, 300 ton of radiation-contaminated water escaped from a tank at the plant. The tanks were set up to hold contaminated water used to cool reactor cores at the plant. Most of the water is thought to have seeped into the ground, but some may have escaped into the sea through a rainwater gutter.
The minister, Toshimitsu Motegi, promised the government would take urgent action. However he laid the blame squarely at the feet of the plant’s operator, TEPCO.
“Concerning the issue of how to handle the contaminated water, we had been leaving everything to TEPCO and the way they have been handling the matter was on a piecemeal basis, by taking care of each problem as it emerged. But from here on the government will take charge,” Motegi declared.
TEPCO has said it will now invite foreign decommissioning experts to advise it on how to clean up its act.
The trade minister promised checks of the tanks would be doubled to four a day.
The government has also signalled it may dip into an emergency reserve fund to help pay for the clean-up.
Fishing off the coast has once again been banned because of the contamination. Local fisherman complained they had lost faith in TEPCO’s ability to protect the sea.
Fumio Suzuki, a 47-year-old fisherman, said: “The [plant’s] operators are reacting too late every time with everything they do. We say, ‘Don’t spill contaminated water’, and they spill contaminated water. They are always a step behind so that is why we can’t trust them.”
It is unclear what the longterm environmental impact will be on sea life. A recent test on 170 types of fish showed 40 percent were contaminated
The Fukushima plant suffered multiple meltdowns following a massive earthquake and tsunami in March 2011.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:48 CET South Koreans trying to launch anti-North leaflets clash with…
- 06:14 CET Coal mine accident in far west China kills 16 – Xinhua
- 05:57 CET China to shut factories during APEC to curb Beijing pollution -…
- 04:51 CET Two killed, four wounded in Washington state school shooting
- 03:32 CET U.S. general says he believes North Korea can build nuclear warhead
- 02:10 CET Virginia remains identified as those of missing college student
- 01:25 CET U.S. says Palestinian-American killed by Israeli forces
- 01:17 CET Mali’s first Ebola case, a two-year-old girl, dies – officials