26/08/13 08:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The trial of former leading politician, Bo Xilai, has ended with closing speeches from the prosecution and defence.
Prosecutors have demanded a heavy sentence calling Bo’s defence “whimsical” and saying he had shown no remorse for his crimes.
Bo was a rising star in China’s leadership circles when his career was stopped short last year by a murder scandal. His wife Gu Kailai was convicted of poisoning British businessman, Neil Heywood, who had been a family friend.
Bo faced charges of corruption, accepting bribes and abuse of power.
It has been China’s most politically charged trial in decades, and the subject of much speculation. On the streets of Jinan, where the trial was held, one local resident said she thought it was “a fair trial” as it “had lasted several days.”
Another resident added: “Bo Xilai is one of the princelings, he is son of an old senior official. He is supposed to be in the central leadership of the next generation. If he had not made such a big mistake, he would have been one of the members of the Politburo standing committee. It is a big shame.”
State media said the verdict was expected at an unspecified later date. A guilty verdict is believed to be a foregone conclusion.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Brazil’s top prosecutor requests probe into Dilma Rousseff’s role in Petrobras scandal.
Trump is Republican presumptive nominee after crushing Cruz in Indiana
Wildfire triggers emergency evacuation in Alberta
Israeli troops shoot dead driver of rammed car
Google and Fiat to team up on self drive cars
Wires > News
- 09:23 CET Air raids hit east of Damascus after ‘calm’ expires – Observatory
- 08:40 CET Turkey approves law among final hurdles for EU visa deal
- 08:17 CET Car bomb blast in southeast Turkey kills one Turkish soldier…
- 08:01 CET Turkey’s Erdogan advances weekly PM meet to Wednesday as tension…
- 07:58 CET Turkish military returns fire into Syria after rockets hit border…
- 07:48 CET ‘Bongbong’, the son, leads Marcos revival in the Philippines
- 07:36 CET Canadian wildfire forces evacuation order for entire city
- 06:14 CET Amid scandal, China military hospital closes doors to new patients