26/08/13 17:13 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Silvio Berlusconi’s party has threatened to bring down the Italian government if he is expelled from parliament over his tax fraud conviction.
Relations between Berlusconi’s PDL party and Prime Minister Enrico Letta’s Democratic Party (PD)are tense ahead of a Senate vote on whether to expel the billionaire.
A top PD official accused the PDL of “blackmail” after several of its members threatened to bring down the government if the PD voted to expel Berlusconi.
Meanwhile, Letta is trying to push on with reforms to spur growth and fight record levels of unemployment despite deep divisions in his coalition.
Domenico Megna, a pensioner from Rome told euronews: “He should go to prison. Criminals like him need to be kept out of political life. He should go to prison for 30 years. He stole from 60 million Italians.”
Rome Resident Michelle Orlando said: “ This is yet another example of how Berlusconi does what is good for him and not for Italy”.
The coalition partners are also arguing over an unpopular housing tax reform which will be decided on Wednesday. The PDL has threatened to bring down the government if the reform is not abolished.
Latest world news
Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
Reckitt Benckiser apologises over South Korea deadly disinfectant
US cruise ship docks in Havana over 40 years since the last sailed the Florida Straits
Wires > News
- 00:30 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 00:29 CET U.S. says Iraq’s PM in ‘strong position’ amid political unrest
- 00:24 CET NATO weighs four battalions in Eastern states to deter Russia -…
- 00:17 CET Argentine court probes ex-president Fernandez over new case – media
- 23:04 CET U.S. tells Pakistan it will have to fund F-16s itself
- 22:14 CET Leader of Canada’s separatist Parti Quebecois steps down
- 22:13 CET Emotional return as first U.S. cruise in decades reaches Cuba
- 22:11 CET EU executive to propose visa-free travel for Turks on Wednesday…