Sebastien Vettel recorded his fifth victory of the season and career second at Spa-Francorchamps after the German triple world champion easily won the Belgian Grand Prix on Sunday.
In what turned out to be one of the most comfortable victories of the year the Red Bull driver took over the lead from Lewis Hamilton on lap one.
He then continued to move further away from the field as the race went on and eventually crossed the line just under 17 second clear of Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso.
Britain’s 2008 world champion Hamilton, who started on pole position for the fourth race in a row, took a distant third place for Mercedes with German teammate Nico Rosberg fourth.
Vettel stretched his championship lead over Alonso to 46 points with eight races and 200 points remaining.
Hamilton moved up to third as Lotus’ Kimi Raikkonen failed to score after retiring with brake failure.
Red Bull are the runaway leaders in the constructors race on 312 points – Mercedes move into second ahead of Italian glamour team Ferrari.
The next race is in Italy on September 8th.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
- 19Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > Sport
- 19:09 CET Martinez to take over as Spain Davis Cup captain – reports
- 15:53 CET French, German presidents tried to influence World Cup votes -…
- 15:26 CET I am teetotal to ward off depression, Flintoff says
- 15:19 CET Roberto Carlos joins Delhi team in Indian league
- 14:29 CET Argentina’s search for elusive final key continues
- 14:17 CET Williamses renew rivalry as little sister eyes Serena Slam
- 13:21 CET Du Plessis leads South Africa to easy win in Bangladesh
- 12:59 CET Lauda dismisses talk of Mercedes supplying Red Bull