Sebastien Vettel recorded his fifth victory of the season and career second at Spa-Francorchamps after the German triple world champion easily won the Belgian Grand Prix on Sunday.
In what turned out to be one of the most comfortable victories of the year the Red Bull driver took over the lead from Lewis Hamilton on lap one.
He then continued to move further away from the field as the race went on and eventually crossed the line just under 17 second clear of Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso.
Britain’s 2008 world champion Hamilton, who started on pole position for the fourth race in a row, took a distant third place for Mercedes with German teammate Nico Rosberg fourth.
Vettel stretched his championship lead over Alonso to 46 points with eight races and 200 points remaining.
Hamilton moved up to third as Lotus’ Kimi Raikkonen failed to score after retiring with brake failure.
Red Bull are the runaway leaders in the constructors race on 312 points – Mercedes move into second ahead of Italian glamour team Ferrari.
The next race is in Italy on September 8th.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 13‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 14Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 19Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 20London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
Wires > Sport
- 17:19 CET UEFA to sell 46,000 Champions League final tickets to public
- 17:17 CET Castrogiovanni dropped by Italy for France, Wales matches
- 17:13 CET Luis Enrique unfazed by Suarez petulance
- 15:30 CET Palace midfielder Jedinak accepts violent conduct charge
- 15:26 CET Sunderland’s Johnson bailed until March 18 – BBC
- 15:05 CET Van Gaal urges patience over misfiring Di Maria
- 14:28 CET Terry certain to get new Chelsea deal – Mourinho
- 13:59 CET Whelan resigns as Wigan chairman, hands over to grandson