Tensions boiled over at the election rally of Germany’s anti-euro party Alternative fuer Deutschland (AfD), when far-left activists attacked the leader on Saturday.
Bernd Lucke was pushed to the ground in the northern city of Bremen and one campaign worker was attacked with a knife.
It is the latest in a string of scuffles between the far-left and the party which is calling for the return of the deutsche mark.
Over in Berlin, 150 far-right nationalists protesting against a new home for asylum seekers were met by a 750 strong force of counter demonstrators.
The issue of refugees is proving a hot topic ahead of the elections in less than a month. Last week Chancellor Merkel warned against far-right extremism. Polls suggest she is likely to make a comfortable to return.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Hong Kong police spray potent substance onto pro-democracy activists
- 2Pope Francis slams ‘haggard’ EU
- 3Rebel leaders call for UN peacekeepers to help crisis-hit eastern Ukraine
- 4US fears another night of racially-charged violence in Ferguson
- 5Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 18Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
- 19Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 20Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 03:53 CET Myanmar political leaders to hold talks on amending constitution
- 03:51 CET Hong Kong police begin clearing major protest site
- 03:39 CET Argentina president, back after sick leave, vows to fight hedge…
- 03:06 CET Coal mine accident in northern China kills 24 – Xinhua
- 03:05 CET Australian minister apologises for submarine firm canoe remark
- 02:25 CET More U.S. troops deployed in Ferguson to guard against fresh riots
- 02:22 CET Domestic pressures in U.S., Iran threaten slow-moving nuclear talks
- 02:19 CET Flournoy withdraws from consideration as U.S. defence secretary -…