24/08/13 15:04 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The Syrian government says it has discovered chemical weapons being used by the rebels in a tunnel in Jobar, a suburb of Damascus.
State television reported that some soldiers needed medical treatment for suffocation after making the discovery.
Jobar is the focus on counter-allegations, with the rebels accusing the army of killing up to1,000 people in Jobar using nerve gas
Without specifying who is using chemical weapons, Iranian President Hassan Rohani, for the first time, acknowledged they have been used and is asking the international community to step in.
Syria’s main ally, Russia, suggested the rebels may have been the ones who launched an attack using chemical weapons in order to gain international sympathy and support.
UN High Representative for Disarmament Affairs Angela Kane
arrived in Damascus on Saturday, joining a team of UN experts on chemical weapons already there. Kane is expected to push for greater access to places where chemical weapons may have been used.
Speculation about possible US intervention in Syria is growing. US naval forces in the Mediterranean have been repositioned.
In addition, US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel confirmed that President Barack Obama has asked the Pentagon to prepare military options for Syria.
- 1G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 2Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 3New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 4French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 5Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 16:02 CET Ukraine files defence in $3 billion Russia Eurobond case
- 15:54 CET North Korea threatens retaliation after South Korean warning shots
- 15:42 CET Ugandan court sentences five men to life for 2010 bombings that…
- 14:14 CET Air France shirt-ripper trial postponed
- 13:43 CET Hollande says won’t let protesters choke economy as police clear…
- 13:34 CET Russia may extend counter-sanctions until end-2017 – PM
- 13:23 CET Russia intensifies strikes on Nusra Front oil sites – military…
- 13:22 CET Iran’s uranium stockpile stays within limit set by nuclear deal -…