24/08/13 15:04 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The Syrian government says it has discovered chemical weapons being used by the rebels in a tunnel in Jobar, a suburb of Damascus.
State television reported that some soldiers needed medical treatment for suffocation after making the discovery.
Jobar is the focus on counter-allegations, with the rebels accusing the army of killing up to1,000 people in Jobar using nerve gas
Without specifying who is using chemical weapons, Iranian President Hassan Rohani, for the first time, acknowledged they have been used and is asking the international community to step in.
Syria’s main ally, Russia, suggested the rebels may have been the ones who launched an attack using chemical weapons in order to gain international sympathy and support.
UN High Representative for Disarmament Affairs Angela Kane
arrived in Damascus on Saturday, joining a team of UN experts on chemical weapons already there. Kane is expected to push for greater access to places where chemical weapons may have been used.
Speculation about possible US intervention in Syria is growing. US naval forces in the Mediterranean have been repositioned.
In addition, US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel confirmed that President Barack Obama has asked the Pentagon to prepare military options for Syria.
Latest world news
Kenya burns huge ivory stockpile calling for ban on trade
Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
Iraq: al-Sadr supporters storm Baghdad Green Zone and parliament
Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Wires > News
- 01:21 CET Aleppo bombed as Syrian army begins ‘calm’ plan elsewhere
- 00:40 CET Putin reshuffles Russia’s law enforcement structures
- 21:45 CET Canada eager to consider investing in new Montreal rail network -…
- 20:58 CET Blacklisted oil tanker returns to Libya’s Zawiya port
- 20:11 CET Saudi hands over Houthi prisoners as Yemen peace efforts inch…
- 19:49 CET Obama takes final bow at star-studded Washington dinner
- 19:18 CET Egypt puts on trial 237 activists for protests against Sisi -…
- 19:05 CET Germany’s Merkel under attack at anti-immigration rally marred by…