The Syrian government says it has discovered chemical weapons being used by the rebels in a tunnel in Jobar, a suburb of Damascus.
State television reported that some soldiers needed medical treatment for suffocation after making the discovery.
Jobar is the focus on counter-allegations, with the rebels accusing the army of killing up to1,000 people in Jobar using nerve gas
Without specifying who is using chemical weapons, Iranian President Hassan Rohani, for the first time, acknowledged they have been used and is asking the international community to step in.
Syria’s main ally, Russia, suggested the rebels may have been the ones who launched an attack using chemical weapons in order to gain international sympathy and support.
UN High Representative for Disarmament Affairs Angela Kane
arrived in Damascus on Saturday, joining a team of UN experts on chemical weapons already there. Kane is expected to push for greater access to places where chemical weapons may have been used.
Speculation about possible US intervention in Syria is growing. US naval forces in the Mediterranean have been repositioned.
In addition, US Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel confirmed that President Barack Obama has asked the Pentagon to prepare military options for Syria.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 2Canada raises its terror threat following attack on soldiers
- 3Canada: Major terror alert in Ottawa after soldier killed
- 4Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 5‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 1Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search
- 2German intelligence report blames pro-Russian rebels for MH17 crash
- 3‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 4Total boss dies in Moscow air crash
- 5Total oil CEO Christophe de Margerie dies in Moscow plane crash; snowplough driver was ‘drunk’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Battles rage for Donetsk airport despite Ukraine ceasefire | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 23:07 CET U.S. jury convicts ex-Blackwater guards in 2007 Baghdad killings
- 22:31 CET Canada’s parliament attacked near where PM Harper was speaking
- 22:08 CET Saudi Arabia jails al Qaeda suspects over plot to hit U.S. forces
- 21:47 CET At least three drugs smugglers killed in attack along Egypt border…
- 21:31 CET Fowle back at Ohio home after half-year detention in North Korea
- 21:17 CET Baby killed when Palestinian drives into Jerusalem train stop -…
- 20:58 CET Exclusive – EU earmarks $250 million to help develop Ebola…
- 20:45 CET NATO, Swedish fighters scrambled to intercept Russian plane