Former American football player Aaron Hernandez was indicted on Thursday by a grand jury in Massachusetts on a charge of first-degree murder.
The indictment also contains five counts of firearms violations.
The former New England Patriots tight end is charged with killing 27-year-old Odin Lloyd in June.
Lloyd was a semi-professional football player from Boston who was dating the sister of Hernandez’s girlfriend.
His bullet-riddled body was found in an industrial area near Hernandez’s home in North Attleborough, Massachusetts.
The 23-year-old Hernandez pleaded not guilty to murder and weapons charges in June, and is being held without bail at a county jail,
If convicted he could face life in prison without parole as Massachusetts does not have the death penalty.
- 1Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
- 2Champions League final: Ronaldo limps out of training but insists he’ll be fit for finale
- 3France defender Varane ruled out of Euro 2016 with injury
- 4The Corner: The winners and losers from Europe’s Cup finals weekend
- 5NBA: Raptors claw their way back into Eastern Conference final
- 1European Aquatics Championships: Boglarka wins fourth gold as Hungary top medal table
- 2FIFA sack deputy secretary general Kattner
- 3The Corner: The winners and losers from Europe’s Cup finals weekend
- 4NBA Western Conference Final: Durant stars as Oklahoma thrash Warriors to lead playoff
- 5Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
- 1Federer withdraws from French Open
- 2European Aquatics Championships: Pellegrini defends 200 metres freestyle title to add more gold to Italian tally
- 3World champions Germany and holders Spain name provisional Euro 2016 squads
- 4Sevilla strike back to beat Liverpool for record third straight Europa League title
- 5Spills and thrills as Lorenzo takes lead in MotoGP
Wires > Sport
- 17:56 CET Ronaldo wants Real Madrid to renew his contract
- 17:54 CET Another Neville set to leave Valencia
- 17:32 CET Mathieu calf injury adds to French defensive woes
- 17:18 CET Romanian clubs deducted points for breaching rules
- 17:08 CET First Indy 500 sellout brings security questions
- 16:59 CET Qatar cuts spending on new health facilities – official
- 16:55 CET Muguruza provides some stability in women’s draw
- 16:31 CET Haryanto has funding until 11th race, says manager