The El Salvador football federation has provisionally suspended 22 players for 30 days for their connection in an alleged match-fixing scandal.
Federation President Carlos Mendez said the games under scrutiny include El Salvador’s 2-1 defeat to the United States in February 2010, a defeat by D.C. United the same year as well as a 4-1 loss to Paraguay and a 5-0 Gold Cup defeat by Mexico in 2012.
Of the the 22 players allegedly involved in the match-fixing 20 have featured for the national team – six of which have over 50 caps.
Mendez said world governing body FIFA has been informed of the situation therefore the suspensions could be extended internationally.
El Salvador are unlikely to play anymore internationals until a full investigation has been completed.
- 1Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
- 2Champions League final: Ronaldo limps out of training but insists he’ll be fit for finale
- 3France defender Varane ruled out of Euro 2016 with injury
- 4The Corner: The winners and losers from Europe’s Cup finals weekend
- 5NBA: Raptors claw their way back into Eastern Conference final
- 1European Aquatics Championships: Boglarka wins fourth gold as Hungary top medal table
- 2FIFA sack deputy secretary general Kattner
- 3The Corner: The winners and losers from Europe’s Cup finals weekend
- 4NBA Western Conference Final: Durant stars as Oklahoma thrash Warriors to lead playoff
- 5Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
- 1Federer withdraws from French Open
- 2European Aquatics Championships: Pellegrini defends 200 metres freestyle title to add more gold to Italian tally
- 3World champions Germany and holders Spain name provisional Euro 2016 squads
- 4Sevilla strike back to beat Liverpool for record third straight Europa League title
- 5Spills and thrills as Lorenzo takes lead in MotoGP
Wires > Sport
- 20:25 CET Tearing hurry could land F1 drivers in trouble
- 20:21 CET Karlovic oldest man to reach grand slam third round in 25 years
- 20:11 CET Radwanska downs Garcia to reach third round in Paris
- 20:09 CET Parnelli’s Indy 500 relevance knows no limits
- 19:36 CET Ricciardo gets new Renault engine before Verstappen
- 19:08 CET Sweden’s Celtic connections relishing Irish challenge
- 19:02 CET ‘Pure respect’ as Hamilton and Rosberg clear the air
- 18:50 CET Kramaric completes permanent move to Hoffenheim