The El Salvador football federation has provisionally suspended 22 players for 30 days for their connection in an alleged match-fixing scandal.
Federation President Carlos Mendez said the games under scrutiny include El Salvador’s 2-1 defeat to the United States in February 2010, a defeat by D.C. United the same year as well as a 4-1 loss to Paraguay and a 5-0 Gold Cup defeat by Mexico in 2012.
Of the the 22 players allegedly involved in the match-fixing 20 have featured for the national team – six of which have over 50 caps.
Mendez said world governing body FIFA has been informed of the situation therefore the suspensions could be extended internationally.
El Salvador are unlikely to play anymore internationals until a full investigation has been completed.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
Wires > Sport
- 13:20 CET Swiss arrest top global football officials in U.S., Swiss…
- 13:06 CET Barca forward Suarez back in training before Cup final
- 12:49 CET Sharapova romps into third round at French Open
- 12:32 CET Stosur blazes through to third round in Paris
- 09:33 CET All Black Carter back in number 10 shirt for Crusaders
- 09:03 CET Thais target football gold, Indos just want to play
- 07:55 CET Sri Lanka rope in Rhodes for short stint to improve fielding
- 07:52 CET Arrested FIFA officials face extradition to U.S. – NY Times