The El Salvador football federation has provisionally suspended 22 players for 30 days for their connection in an alleged match-fixing scandal.
Federation President Carlos Mendez said the games under scrutiny include El Salvador’s 2-1 defeat to the United States in February 2010, a defeat by D.C. United the same year as well as a 4-1 loss to Paraguay and a 5-0 Gold Cup defeat by Mexico in 2012.
Of the the 22 players allegedly involved in the match-fixing 20 have featured for the national team – six of which have over 50 caps.
Mendez said world governing body FIFA has been informed of the situation therefore the suspensions could be extended internationally.
El Salvador are unlikely to play anymore internationals until a full investigation has been completed.
- 1Business as usual as Blatter joins Putin for World Cup draw
- 2Olympics: New stadium plans to be drawn up for Tokyo 2020
- 3Chapeau Christopher: Froome wins Tour du France
- 4Tour de France: Geschke claims maiden stage win, Froome maintains overall lead
- 5Judge requests new investigation into Jan Ullrich’s drink driving case
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > Sport
- 12:13 CET West Brom sign Wales defender Chester from Hull City
- 12:08 CET Unchanged Australia bat against England in third Ashes test
- 11:36 CET Yao holding court as Beijing bids for Winter Olympics
- 11:22 CET Ad firm Dentsu wins Olympic rights in Asia for 2018-2024
- 10:59 CET Honda apologise to Stoner for Suzuka crash
- 10:58 CET Barca defender Douglas faces two-month injury layoff
- 10:09 CET China’s Sun sets sights on golden haul in Kazan
- 09:23 CET Shakhtar field midfielder despite threat of doping ban