Portugal has requested help from Spain and France as wildfires cut a swathe of destruction across central and northern areas of the country.
Lisbon’s interior ministry has asked for air support in the form of four firefighting Canadair planes.
Around 1,300 emergency personnel are on the ground battling more than 275 blazes thought to have been caused by soaring summer temperatures.
Houses have been destroyed leaving their owners distraught. One woman said her husband could not speak because he was so upset: “When we saw that everything around had been burnt, we just stayed inside the house and thought we would die,” she said.
The island of Madeira has also been struggling against fires – at the weekend a hospital had to be evacuated outside Funchal, the island’s capital.
According to Portugal’s Institute for the Conservation of Nature and Forests (ICNF), nearly 31,000 hectares of forestland have gone up in smoke this year.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Insecurity greets returning Afghan refugees after exile in Pakistan
Bangkok’s Erawan Shine restored to public view after bomb blast
Cameron bows to pressure as Britain set to let in more Syrian refugees
Overnight stand-off as migrants refuse to go to Hungary refugee camp
Drowned Syrian boy’s story stirs strong emotions over migrant crisis
Wires > News
- 11:49 CET Drowned Syrian toddlers and their mother buried in Kobani
- 11:36 CET Islamic State blows up tower tombs in Syria’s Palmyra -…
- 11:32 CET Turkey halts more migrant boats as toddler deaths fail to stop…
- 11:17 CET Migrants hold out on Hungarian ‘freedom train’; Orban says…
- 11:16 CET Russia says Syria’s Assad ready to share power
- 10:48 CET Thai probe hits hurdle; no bomb match to suspects’ DNA
- 10:43 CET U.S. clerk jailed for gay marriage defiance; dispute goes on
- 10:28 CET China’s Xi lauds Czechs, only Western leader at war parade