Portugal has requested help from Spain and France as wildfires cut a swathe of destruction across central and northern areas of the country.
Lisbon’s interior ministry has asked for air support in the form of four firefighting Canadair planes.
Around 1,300 emergency personnel are on the ground battling more than 275 blazes thought to have been caused by soaring summer temperatures.
Houses have been destroyed leaving their owners distraught. One woman said her husband could not speak because he was so upset: “When we saw that everything around had been burnt, we just stayed inside the house and thought we would die,” she said.
The island of Madeira has also been struggling against fires – at the weekend a hospital had to be evacuated outside Funchal, the island’s capital.
According to Portugal’s Institute for the Conservation of Nature and Forests (ICNF), nearly 31,000 hectares of forestland have gone up in smoke this year.
- 1‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 2Obama denounces Russia’s ‘increasingly aggressive posture’ on Ukraine
- 3Bunny beaten to death live on Danish radio
- 4Chancellor Merkel heads Forbes most powerful women list – again!
- 5Swiss police arrest several senior Fifa executives in a morning raid at a five-star hotel in Zurich
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
Wires > News
- 01:12 CET U.N. council urges end to impunity for attacks on journalists
- 01:08 CET Islamic State sympathizers may have made airline threats – …
- 23:56 CET Leader of al Qaeda Syria wing says aims to take Damascus – TV
- 23:26 CET Pentagon chief urges end to island-building in South China Sea
- 23:04 CET Insight – All at sea: Australia’s search for MH370 under scrutiny
- 22:48 CET France warns Iran over nuclear deal as deadline nears
- 22:06 CET For Kremlin, a charity teaching science to kids is viewed as…
- 21:20 CET Belgian flights halted after air traffic power fault