Two women from the UK have been held in Peru on suspicion of smuggling 11 kilograms of cocaine out of the country. Michaella McCollum from Belfast and Melissa Reid from near Glasgow are expected to be charged later.
The two women, both 20, were arrested at Lima airport two weeks ago as they tried to board a flight to Madrid.
Police say they found the drug hidden inside food packages in their luggage.
Peter Madden, lawyer for Michaella, said his client is innocent.
“Michaella McCollum did not owe any money to any drugs dealer. She was not involved in the drugs trade.”
Both women claim they were forced at gunpoint to carry the drugs by Colombian traffickers, who said they would harm their families if they refused.
Julio Vela, a customs officer at Lima airport, described the arrest:
“ They were nervous when they were approached, bewildered, they don’t speak Spanish so it was difficult for them to communicate.”
The British Embassy has been in contact with the Peruvian authorities and offered the young women consular assistance.
If convicted, they could receive lengthy prison sentences.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 00:59 CET Germany’s Merkel deals blow to UK on EU migration reform – Sunday…
- 00:42 CET Police seek motive in fatal Washington state school shooting
- 00:00 CET Brazil’s election too close to call on eve of runoff
- 23:08 CET Egypt eyes legal restrictions, military measures after Sinai…
- 22:42 CET Ebola death toll tops 4,900 as virus spreads – WHO
- 22:36 CET Canadians flock to Parliament Hill, site of attack on soldier
- 22:30 CET In rural Tunisia, economic malaise weighs on voters
- 22:24 CET Lebanon army fights gunmen in Tripoli, six soldiers killed