It has been reported in Egypt that the Muslim Brotherhood has appointed the deputy leader of the movement, Mahmoud Ezzat, as the temporary spiritual leader of the organisation. He is a doctor by profession and has been detained and imprisoned by Egyptian authorities on several occasions.
This move comes following the arrest of Brotherhood chief Mohamed Badie. He, along with his deputy Khairat el-Shater, will go on trial later this month for their alleged involvement in the killing of eight protesters outside the organisation’s Cairo headquarters in June.
Egyptian media has described Ezzat as the Brotherhood’s “iron man” and is known to be a key figure in policy making decisions.
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 4Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 5Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > News
- 01:05 CET New Taliban leader moves fast to heal rifts in Afghan insurgency
- 23:57 CET Helicopter accident kills 16 police officers in Colombia
- 23:53 CET U.S. House to vote on Iran deal disapproval resolution
- 22:48 CET Germany sacks top prosecutor in row over treason inquiry
- 22:46 CET First Israeli jailed without trial in sweep over West Bank arson
- 22:37 CET Iraqis complain of poor government services as heat rises
- 21:56 CET Israel’s Netanyahu asks U.S. Jews to oppose Iran nuclear deal
- 21:33 CET Cecil the lion case charts new territory for U.S. wildlife law