Mali’s constitutional court has confirmed Ibrahim Boubacar Keita as the country’s new president, following a landslide victory.
The 68-year-old won 77.62% of the vote in the second round of elections on August 11.
Keita is a former prime minister and veteran of the political scene in Mali. He takes office on September 4 and will be faced with the task of leading the country out of a 17-month political crisis sparked by a military coup.
US president Obama has issued a statement congratulating the people of Mali and the new president on successful elections.
- 1Migrants with tickets denied access to Budapest train station
- 2Satellite images show ISIL destruction in Palmyra
- 3‘No person is illegal’ – Vienna holds rally for refugees
- 4Ukraine: deputies explain for and against the decentralisation law
- 5Hungary’s hardline stance on refugees ‘benefits’ people smugglers
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 16:26 CET Lebanon’s interior minister warns protesters against sit-ins
- 15:30 CET Farmers head hundreds of tractors for Paris in protest
- 15:22 CET Hundreds of migrants protest at Budapest station, want to go to…
- 15:15 CET Sixty-one infants die at Indian hospital in just two weeks
- 15:03 CET Russia says will respond in kind to new U.S. sanctions over Ukraine
- 14:59 CET Car bomb in coastal stronghold of Syria’s Assad kills at least 10…
- 14:50 CET Netanyahu threatens to shoot young Palestinian stone-throwers
- 14:47 CET Labour appointment puts French women ministers in majority