Mali’s constitutional court has confirmed Ibrahim Boubacar Keita as the country’s new president, following a landslide victory.
The 68-year-old won 77.62% of the vote in the second round of elections on August 11.
Keita is a former prime minister and veteran of the political scene in Mali. He takes office on September 4 and will be faced with the task of leading the country out of a 17-month political crisis sparked by a military coup.
US president Obama has issued a statement congratulating the people of Mali and the new president on successful elections.
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 2Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 3German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 4Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 5Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately
- 5New reports claim Airbus crash voice recorder reveals pilot ‘was locked out of cockpit’
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
Wires > News
- 21:29 CET Saudi Arabia decides to restore ambassador to Sweden – Al Arabiya…
- 20:43 CET Time for Iran to make tough decisions in nuclear talks – U.S.
- 20:27 CET France presses at U.N. for Islamic State to face world court
- 20:10 CET Yemen Houthi rebels advance despite Saudi-led air strikes
- 20:07 CET ‘Unholy alliance’ of Islamists threatens Sweden – spy chief
- 19:54 CET Syrian army and Hezbollah encircle Syrian city near border – TV
- 19:51 CET Nigeria president warns against bloodshed ahead of Saturday poll
- 19:12 CET Nigerians uprooted by Boko Haram angry at losing chance to vote