20/08/13 15:15 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
There are only so many natural resources the earth can supply and today we’ve gone over our annual limit.
Earth Overshoot Day is the point in the year when humans have used as much nature, such as land, trees and fish, as the planet’s ecosystems can regenerate.
For the rest of the year the earth will be “overdrawn,” meaning we will be depleting the oceans and land and building up waste such as carbon dioxide.
According to figures sourced by the Global Footprint Network, an independent think tank based in the United States, Switzerland, and Belgium, the first time that human consumption outstripped the planet’s capability to produce was December 29 1970. Since then the date has been creeping forward each year.
The UK consumes and produces waste at a rate three and a half times greater than it can sustain.
Qatar is one of the worst offenders: the typical resident requires the resources of six and a half times what the earth can produce.
If everybody were to live like United States residents, it would take four times the earth’s resources to support the global population.
China’s total ecological footprint is smaller, per capita, than in Europe or North America but its footprint is the heaviest in the world in raw size, because of its huge population.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Trump is Republican presumptive nominee after crushing Cruz in Indiana
Wildfire triggers emergency evacuation in Alberta
Israeli troops shoot dead driver of rammed car
Google and Fiat to team up on self drive cars
Bahrain’s king holidays at Sharm el-Sheikh and tips Egypt for tourism
Wires > News
- 08:17 CET Car bomb blast in southeast Turkey kills one Turkish soldier…
- 08:01 CET Turkey’s Erdogan advances weekly PM meet to Wednesday as tension…
- 07:58 CET Turkish military returns fire into Syria after rockets hit border…
- 07:48 CET ‘Bongbong’, the son, leads Marcos revival in the Philippines
- 07:36 CET Canadian wildfire forces evacuation order for entire city
- 07:29 CET Turkey approves law among final hurdles for EU visa deal
- 06:14 CET Amid scandal, China military hospital closes doors to new patients
- 05:00 CET Top prosecutor asks to investigate Brazil president