Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young, best known for his lead role in the 1990s series “The Famous Jett Jackson,” committed suicide in Los Angeles, the actor’s manager said on Monday. He was 29.
“It is with great sadness that I announce that Lee Thompson Young tragically took his own life this morning,” Young’s manager, Jonathan Baruch, said in a statement. “Lee was more than just a brilliant young actor, he was a wonderful and gentle soul who will be truly missed,” Baruch added.
Young was found dead by police at his home in the North Hollywood area of the city early on Monday, after his coworkers on the TNT cable drama series “Rizzoli & Isles” called authorities to say he had not turned up for work, Los Angeles Police Department spokeswoman Sergeant Jerretta Sandoz said.
Young rose to fame as Jett Jackson on the Disney Channel, in a series about a young actor working on a fictional show in North Carolina. Young went on to star in 2004 film “Friday Night Lights” and television shows such as “South Beach.”
The actor most recently starred as Detective Barry Frost on “Rizzoli & Isles.” TNT, which is owned by Time Warner Inc. , posted a statement on the passing of the actor on Monday in conjunction with “Rizzoli & Isles” executive producer Janet Tamaro, saying everyone was “devastated” by his death.
“We are beyond heartbroken at the loss of this sweet, gentle, good-hearted, intelligent man. He was truly a member of our family. Lee will be cherished and remembered by all who knew and loved him, both on- and off-screen, for his positive energy, infectious smile and soulful grace,” the statement said.
- 1Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 2G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 3New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 4French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 5Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 22:41 CET Putin warns Romania, Poland: you may now be in Russia’s cross-hairs
- 22:26 CET Trump pulls out of debate showdown with Sanders
- 22:06 CET Ex-Guinea-Bissau PM calls government’s dismissal ‘constitutional…
- 22:04 CET Greece says sanctions against Russia not productive
- 21:57 CET U.S. lawmakers want Obama to impose sanctions on Congo
- 21:54 CET U.S. judge sentences Vietnamese man to 40 years for al Qaeda…
- 20:59 CET Kerry welcomes bid to spur talks between Venezuela, opposition
- 20:56 CET Rio de Janeiro police investigate alleged gang rape that has…