The operator of Japan’s crippled Fukushima nuclear plant says around 300 tonnes of highly contaminated water has leaked into the Pacific Ocean.
This comes after months of denial by the Tokyo Electric Power Company.
Japan’s Pacific neighbours, South Korea, demanded an explanation from the Japanese authorities.
Tepco general manager Masayuki Ono said: “We have discovered a radiation level strong enough to give someone a five year dose of radiation within one hour. We would like to apologise for the concern we have caused people.”
Tepco has come under fire from the Japanese government for its handling of the nuclear crisis.
Fukushima was wrecked by the earthquake and tsunami of March 2011.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3‘More powerful than a nuke’: Kim Jong-un refreshed after ‘climbing highest peak’
- 4Hundreds feared drowned in Mediterranean; Italy calls for help
- 5Data raises questions over EU’s attitude towards asylum seekers
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12International news | euronews, latest international news
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 16Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 17Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 18French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 22:37 CET Argentine prosecutor dismisses case against president
- 22:29 CET South Carolina paper wins Pulitzer prize for domestic violence…
- 21:46 CET Vehicle blast injures two in Israeli criminal incident – police
- 21:45 CET U.S. says FBI head did not intend to suggest Poland role in…
- 21:40 CET Palestinian ministers cut short Gaza visit over dispute with Hamas
- 21:17 CET Serbia quashes talk of landmark visit by Kosovo minister
- 20:33 CET Thousands of children exploited in Senegal – HRW
- 20:20 CET Boat with dozens of migrants runs aground off Greek island, at…