The operator of Japan’s crippled Fukushima nuclear plant says around 300 tonnes of highly contaminated water has leaked into the Pacific Ocean.
This comes after months of denial by the Tokyo Electric Power Company.
Japan’s Pacific neighbours, South Korea, demanded an explanation from the Japanese authorities.
Tepco general manager Masayuki Ono said: “We have discovered a radiation level strong enough to give someone a five year dose of radiation within one hour. We would like to apologise for the concern we have caused people.”
Tepco has come under fire from the Japanese government for its handling of the nuclear crisis.
Fukushima was wrecked by the earthquake and tsunami of March 2011.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 8Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 11Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 14Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 17#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 18Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 19Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 20euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 12:39 CET Seven Libyan soldiers killed in Benghazi bombs and clashes – army…
- 12:23 CET Five dead in helicopter crash in France near Swiss border
- 12:20 CET Putin says sanctions will not stop Russia becoming economic power
- 12:10 CET Putin says Russia wants to move to national currencies in trade
- 11:53 CET Rapists confess as Kenyan cleric takes up equality struggle
- 11:37 CET U.N. nuclear watchdog pushes for headway in Iran inquiry -…
- 11:31 CET North Korea, already under U.N. sanctions, prepares launch site…
- 10:58 CET Modi aims to shake up sanitation with Clean India drive