20/08/13 19:14 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The former president of Egypt, overthrown in a people’s revolution and sentenced to life in prison by the Muslim Brotherhood now looks likely to walk free.
On Monday, a court cleared Hosni Mubarak of one case of corruption which alleged he embezzled funds for presidential palaces.
On Wednesday, the Egyptian judiciary will review a second charge where he is accused of accepting gifts from state newspapers. His family has since paid back the value of the gifts.
Mubarak’s lawyer, Fareed Deeb said: “All the previous release decisions in the cases brought against Mubarak and his sons were issued when the Brotherhood were in power. The judiciary has nothing to do with politics. The judge looks at the case and if it merits releasing him from custody then he will decide that, and if it requires holding him he will decide to hold him. It has nothing to do with politics.’‘
Mubarak still faces a retrial for the more serious charge of complicity in the deaths of protesters during the uprising, for which he was sentenced to life. However under Egyptian law he does not have to stay in jail while waiting.
The 84-year-old is being held at the same Cairo prison where leaders of the Muslim Brotherhood are being kept.
The court will convene at Tora prison, on the southern outskirts of the city, on Wednesday.
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 4New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 5Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 07:18 CET Korean Air evacuates plane at Japan’s Haneda airport after engine…
- 07:17 CET China faces headaches from warming Vietnam-U.S. ties
- 07:09 CET Push for encryption law falters despite Apple case spotlight
- 06:58 CET Top China steel city orders mills to cut output to clear air
- 06:55 CET Speedboat crash kills three foreigners in Thailand – police
- 06:32 CET Earthquake measuring 6.3 magnitude strikes deep off Tonga – USGS
- 05:43 CET “Barking mad” Trump looms over Australian election campaign
- 05:41 CET G7 vows growth, fudges FX, frets North Korea, Russia, China