A series of wooden sheds have been constructed in Zurich, Switzerland as part of an initiative to regulate prostitution.
They look like garages or shelters but are being called by the locals ‘drive-in sex boxes’.
The idea is that men wanting to pay for sex can drive into one of the sheds having picked up a prostitute from an approved area.
Project director Michael Herzig said the boxes should improve security for sex workers.
“We’ve had a problem here which has been getting worse over the last few years, especially regarding Roma women, some of whom were being forced into prostitution. This was a degrading situation which we really had to stop.”
It is hoped the sex boxes will persuade prostitutes to sell their services away from residential areas, in a safe environment – the sheds are all equipped with alarms.
“This solution has several advantages: the support service for the women is better because we are directly here on site. The infrastructure is better. The women can come to us and use the shower and the toilets. We can talk to them without other people listening and the area is closed and observable,” said Ursula Kocher, of the Flora Dora centre for women:
The million euro project was approved by voters in Zurich last year in a referendum. The site is only open to drivers of cars and will operate from early evening until 5am each day.
- 1New coin issued to mark Queen’s record reign
- 2Thousands stuck in Budapest as Hungary refuses to allow migrants to travel
- 3Schengen recoil could turn EU travel back 20 years
- 4Five children among a dozen migrants to drown off Turkish coast
- 5Migrant crisis: Afghan teenagers rescued from ‘prison cell on wheels’ in Austria
- 1Migrants with tickets denied access to Budapest train station
- 2Satellite images show ISIL destruction in Palmyra
- 3‘No person is illegal’ – Vienna holds rally for refugees
- 4Ukraine: deputies explain for and against the decentralisation law
- 5Hungary’s hardline stance on refugees ‘benefits’ people smugglers
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Baltimore: judge rejects bid to drop charges against police officers over Freddie Gray death
US president tours Resurrection Bay to highlight Alaska climate change
Exhausted animals rescued from flooded zoo in Ussuriysk, Russia
Heavy rain causes chaos in southern Norway
Refugee awareness increasing in choice destinations
Wires > News
- 20:33 CET Row over Libyan sovereign fund LIA reaches UK court
- 20:16 CET Migrants shut Eurostar trains to UK; dead wash up on Turkish beach
- 20:14 CET Islamic State claims bomb attack on Yemeni mosque, 28 reported dead
- 20:08 CET U.S. Army to open elite Ranger School to all genders
- 19:32 CET Malaysia’s anti-corruption efforts undermined by questions about…
- 19:24 CET Crackdown fuels migration crisis within Africa
- 19:15 CET U.S. leads 13 air strikes in Syria, Iraq against Islamic State -…
- 18:53 CET Cameron backs down on government rules for EU referendum – BBC