The cancellation of a planned march to the Supreme Court in Cairo did not prevent hundreds of Muslim Brotherhood supporters taking to the streets of Egypt on Sunday.
Smaller demonstrations took place in various cities, including Heliopolis, north-east of Cairo and Ismailia on the Suez Canal.
Organisers of the original march called it off for ‘security reasons’ with one group called the the Anti-Coup Movement claiming to have “reports of thugs on rooftops of surrounding buildings”.
Authorities did block parts of the route to the Court with barbed wire.
The head of Egypt’s armed forces, General Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has given a televised speech saying that “there is room for everyone” – suggesting some sort of cooperation with the Muslim Brotherhood.
The general also said: “The will of the Egyptian people is free. They can choose whoever they want to rule them. The army and police are the guardians of the will of the people with regard to them choosing who their leaders will be.”
Egypt’s official news agency MENA reported the deaths of 38 Muslim Brotherhood supporters in a prison riot.
The report says inmates were being transferred to a prison north of Cairo when they tried to escape and kidnap a police officer.
At least 850 people are reported to have been killed in the last week in violent clashes between security forces and Muslim Brotherhood supporters who are furious over the ousting of President Mohamed Mursi by the military on July 3.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.