Families who found themselves living in two different countries after the 1950-53 Korean War will soon have the the chance to meet again, after North Korea agreed to restart reunions.
The last time the separated relatives were able to take part in a reunion was in 2010. Some 80,000 South Koreans registered to take part that time.
The next meeting will take place on September 19, according to North Korean news agency KCNA.
The latest proposal came from Seoul, and South Korea’s President Park Geun-Hye said, “I hope North Korea becomes open-minded so that the separated families can be reunited.”
The reunions started in 2000 and since then more than 3,500 families have been able to see each other.
As there are no direct mail or telephone contacts between North and South Korea, it has been very hard for separated families to stay in touch.
Unfortunately, not all who register will get the chance to see their loved ones at September’s reunion.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.