Tourism is a lifeblood for the Egyptian economy; it accounts for 12 percent of GDP, but growing numbers of tour operators and governments have been warning people to stay away.
The Italian government on Sunday warned its nationals to stay in their resorts and not book holidays; the UK said the same along with Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Russia, France, and Spain.
“We aren’t accepting any departures until August 20. Some other tour operators have stopped bookings until 15 September. This is the case in Germany, to a certain extent in France, and in Russia where they will stop travelling for a while,” says tour operator Fabio Catafei at Rome airport.
Most deemed at risk are the Red Sea resorts, Cairo and its pyramids, and the Nile cruises. Europe’s largest tour operator, Germany’s TUI has cancelled all its domestic client’s trips until mid-September.
The Mugada resort was the scene of a big pro-Brotherhood demonstration in the town on Saturday, as the unrest spread far beyond the capital.Millions of foreigners visit Egypt each year to laze on its beaches, tour ancient ruins and cruise along the Nile.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 16eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > Business
- 16:16 CET Xenophobia row exposes rivalry between South Africa and Nigeria
- 16:07 CET Baltimore smoulders after riot over black man’s police-custody…
- 16:04 CET Saudi says arrests 93 Islamic State suspects, foils U.S. embassy…
- 15:53 CET Greek, Turkish Cypriot leaders to kick start peace talks
- 15:48 CET Saudi says foiled suicide car bombing plot against U.S. embassy
- 15:47 CET Bodies of six displaced Sunni men found dumped in Baghdad
- 15:10 CET Vatican and U.N. team up on climate change against sceptics
- 14:58 CET At least 52 missing, feared dead in Afghanistan landslide