A raging wildfire forced the evacuation of a hospital and homes on the Portuguese island of Madeira.
Patients had to be transferred to army buildings while around 130 firefighters battled the flames.
The fire hit the Monte suburb of the capital Funchal. It had been burning out of control for the 24 hours and worsened overnight on Friday, officials said.
Authorities said it was too early to say how many homes were destroyed by the fire.
Forest and bush fires also raged on the Portuguese mainland.
A fire that broke out on Thursday in Aldeia Vicosa, near the central city of Guarda, was still spreading early on Saturday, despite the efforts of nearly 200 firefighters.
According to the latest report by Portugal’s Institute for the Conservation of Nature and Forests (ICNF), nearly 17,000 hectares (42,000 acres) of forestland has gone up in smoke in the first seven months of the year.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 19:24 CET Ukraine and pro-Russian separatists trade accusations as Minsk…
- 19:01 CET Israeli forces kill two knife-wielding Palestinians – police
- 18:54 CET Devastating Nepal quake kills over 1,100, some in Everest avalanche
- 18:37 CET U.S., allies conduct 15 air strikes in Syria, Iraq – military
- 18:00 CET Biggest Serb party in Bosnia threatens 2018 secession
- 17:56 CET Ghana can continue production in Ivory Coast oil dispute – tribunal
- 17:38 CET Indonesia informs death row convicts execution just days away
- 17:33 CET Exclusive – Brother says accused Tunisian was forced to captain…