A raging wildfire forced the evacuation of a hospital and homes on the Portuguese island of Madeira.
Patients had to be transferred to army buildings while around 130 firefighters battled the flames.
The fire hit the Monte suburb of the capital Funchal. It had been burning out of control for the 24 hours and worsened overnight on Friday, officials said.
Authorities said it was too early to say how many homes were destroyed by the fire.
Forest and bush fires also raged on the Portuguese mainland.
A fire that broke out on Thursday in Aldeia Vicosa, near the central city of Guarda, was still spreading early on Saturday, despite the efforts of nearly 200 firefighters.
According to the latest report by Portugal’s Institute for the Conservation of Nature and Forests (ICNF), nearly 17,000 hectares (42,000 acres) of forestland has gone up in smoke in the first seven months of the year.
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 4Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 5Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 22:48 CET Germany sacks top prosecutor in row over treason inquiry
- 22:46 CET First Israeli jailed without trial in sweep over West Bank arson
- 22:37 CET Iraqis complain of poor government services as heat rises
- 21:58 CET U.S. House to vote on Iran deal disapproval resolution
- 21:56 CET Israel’s Netanyahu asks U.S. Jews to oppose Iran nuclear deal
- 21:54 CET Helicopter accident kills 15 police officers in Colombia
- 21:33 CET Cecil the lion case charts new territory for U.S. wildlife law
- 20:06 CET Tanzanian opposition coalition nominates former PM for presidency