17/08/13 18:55 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
After decades of secrecy and conspiracy theories, the US government has finally confirmed the existence of Area 51. The site of much speculation was officially acknowledged in declassified documents.
Public records on the U-2 spy plane programme were requested by Washington’s Georgetown University and contain the first official references to Area 51.
Located 130 northwest of Las Vegas, the site was developed by the CIA in the 1950s as a place to test the U-2 reconnaissance plane.
“They (the US government) obviously didn’t want the Soviet Union to know about it, and to ensure that, they wanted a facility where it could be tested away from everybody else,” explained intelligence researcher, Jeffrey Richelson from the National Security Archive.
Area 51 was the testing area for other secret aviation projects, including supersonic aircraft code-named OXCART.
But secrecy surrounding the area, also known as Groom Lake, caused a mass of conspiracies over the years, with many centred on the US-government, UFOs and aliens.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Solar Impulse aircraft lands in Phoenix, Arizona
Corsican separatists to end military campaign
Lady Gaga attends Fashion and technology expo in NY
Venezuela opposition collects signatures in bid to oust President Maduro
Japan’s PM embarks on whirlwind European tour ahead of G7 summit
Wires > News
- 09:27 CET Turkish military returns fire into Syria after rockets hit border…
- 09:23 CET Spanish police arrest four accused of promoting Islamist militancy
- 09:20 CET Air strikes hit Islamic State stronghold in Syria – monitor
- 09:01 CET Baby girl pulled out alive three days after Kenya building…
- 08:41 CET After brawl, Turkish parliament committee votes to lift lawmakers‘…
- 08:32 CET Fire destroys 50 shelters in Myanmar camp for displaced – witness
- 07:56 CET Two Turkish soldiers, five Kurdish militants killed in attack
- 07:17 CET China’s Xi says not stifling debate but wants everyone on same…