16/08/13 03:25 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
An animal, said to resemble a cross between a house cat and a teddy bear, is the newest mammal and first carnivore to be discovered in the Americas in 35 years – according to experts.
The ‘Olinguito’ is the smallest member of the raccoon family and is native to high altitude forests in Colombia and Ecuador.
“We haven’t been able to find anyone that knows about this animal. We haven’t been able to find native names for it, that’s why we used the term ‘Olinguito,’” said zoologist Kristofer Helgen, from the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History in Washington D.C.
“Most of the people we’ve been able to discuss this with… don’t necessarily even distinguish Kinkajous, Olingos and Olinguitos and sometimes not even from some of the primates that are out there,” he continued.
It is not easy spotting one of the long-tailed, furry animals. Olinguitos only come out at night – and spend most of their time in the forest canopy.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 4Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 5‘Misleading at best and flat out wrong at worst’ US reacts to Greenpeace TTIP leak
Latest world news
Corsican separatists to end military campaign
Lady Gaga attends Fashion and technology expo in NY
Venezuela opposition collects signatures in bid to oust President Maduro
Japan’s PM embarks on whirlwind European tour ahead of G7 summit
Destination Indiana in the presidential primary trail
Wires > News
- 07:56 CET Two Turkish soldiers, five Kurdish militants killed in attack
- 07:17 CET China’s Xi says not stifling debate but wants everyone on same…
- 06:02 CET Pakistan raps Trump over vow to free doctor who helped track bin…
- 05:47 CET Murders drop sharply in El Salvador in April, police say
- 01:41 CET Brazil prosecutor asks for probe of opposition leader Neves
- 01:20 CET Emotional return as first U.S. cruise in decades reaches Cuba
- 00:30 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 00:29 CET U.S. says Iraq’s PM in ‘strong position’ amid political unrest