16/08/13 03:25 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
An animal, said to resemble a cross between a house cat and a teddy bear, is the newest mammal and first carnivore to be discovered in the Americas in 35 years – according to experts.
The ‘Olinguito’ is the smallest member of the raccoon family and is native to high altitude forests in Colombia and Ecuador.
“We haven’t been able to find anyone that knows about this animal. We haven’t been able to find native names for it, that’s why we used the term ‘Olinguito,’” said zoologist Kristofer Helgen, from the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History in Washington D.C.
“Most of the people we’ve been able to discuss this with… don’t necessarily even distinguish Kinkajous, Olingos and Olinguitos and sometimes not even from some of the primates that are out there,” he continued.
It is not easy spotting one of the long-tailed, furry animals. Olinguitos only come out at night – and spend most of their time in the forest canopy.
- 1Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
- 4Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Ukraine preparing to swap Russian prisoners for pilot Nadiya Savchenko
Afghan Taliban names Haibatullah Akhunzada as its new chief
Violent clashes outside rally but Trump ever-confident of US election success
Death penalty sought for South Carolina church shooter
More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
Wires > News
- 11:00 CET Moscow poised to hand over prisoner Savchenko to Ukraine: reports
- 10:57 CET Obama to Asians worried about U.S. election – It’s going to be OK
- 10:51 CET Kenya says its troops kill 21 al Shabaab fighters in Somalia
- 10:41 CET Afghan Taliban appoint new leader, Kabul urges peace
- 10:12 CET Euro zone hails ‘breakthrough’ with Greece, IMF debt deal
- 10:11 CET War on terrier: Australia deputy PM dogs Depp with ‘Hannibal…
- 09:59 CET Vietnamese dissident a reluctant tourist during Obama visit
- 09:56 CET Ten killed in suicide attack near Afghan capital