Long-running protests in Bulgaria pitting president against government continue, with rival marches in the capital Sofia.
Today parliament voted to overturn the presidential veto of the left-wing/Turkish minority coalition budget, which features a new half-billion euro loan to pay arrears to businesses and better social benefits.
“After this we’ll be paying off yet another loan for years, taken for no clear purpose, but I’m sure it will be used for MPs’ purposes,” said one man.
The government bussed in supporters from around the country to help raise the siege of parliament mounted by supporters of the conservative President.
“The prime minister will do everything for the people. He’s an able person. But they don’t give him a chance because they’re the mafia. They want everything in their own hands,” said one woman.
Police have been deployed to keep the rival demonstrations apart, although the August heat and holiday season means numbers are down on recent weeks.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
MH370: wreckage found on island ‘came from Boeing 777’
Memon: India executes plotter of 1993 Mumbai attacks
US shooting: police officer charged with murder
Charges brought over killing of Zimbabwe’s famous ‘Cecil’
Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
Wires > News
- 12:01 CET Indian Ocean debris almost certainly from a Boeing 777-Malaysia
- 11:48 CET China says ‘many’ countries sending troops for war anniversary
- 11:42 CET Cairo hearing in Al Jazeera journalists’ retrial adjourned – Al…
- 11:40 CET Greek PM tries to rein in leftists in party battle
- 11:37 CET Turkish military says three soldiers killed in PKK attack in the…
- 11:11 CET Taipei mayor won’t publicly back ‘One China’, Shanghai forum at…
- 10:46 CET Taliban disavows Afghan peace talks after leader declared dead
- 09:58 CET Jailed Chinese loggers among thousands freed in Myanmar amnesty